Trying to Create Timesheet w/ Drop Down List for Start/End time & Calculating Hours

Swoodward

I'm trying to create a time-sheet in excel, where my employees will only have to select an in/out time and the sheet will calculate their hours as a decimal. I know how to create a drop down list for each field (Start / End). I structured the list to allow 6 minute increments to be selected, ex 8:00, 8:06, 8:12, etc. Its formatted so that AM and PM are displayed correctly as well, and I formatted PM times as 13:00 for 1pm.

My problem is that I cant think of a correct formula to calculate that a start time of 8:00AM and an end time of 4:12PM would equal 8.2 hrs. Right now, the formula I am showing gives me 24.20 :confused:.

Formula: =INT(C14)*24+HOUR(C14)+ROUND(MINUTE(C14)/60,2)-INT(B14)*24+HOUR(B14)+ROUND(MINUTE(B14)/60,2)

C14 is end time, B14 is start time.

Simply taking C14-B14 yields .34 in number format. It yields 8:12AM in time format.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Swoodward,

Welcome to MrExcel.

Try... =(C14-B14)*24

The C14-B14 gives the difference between the times as a decimal fraction of 1 day (24hrs) so multiply by 24 to get hrs.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Swoodward,

Welcome to MrExcel.

Try... =(C14-B14)*24

The C14-B14 gives the difference between the times as a decimal fraction of 1 day (24hrs) so multiply by 24 to get hrs.

Hope that helps.

Snakeships, that worked perfectly. I thought I had a work around of taking the small result, hiding that column, and then using a formula to display it as 8.20. Your multiply by 24 solution helps me avoid that. Thanks! :cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back