Trying to Detect if Barcode Scanner is used in wrong column

SkywardPalm

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am attempting to detect if a barcode scanner input is used (as opposed to manual input), and if it is I would like an event to trigger that selects the next available (empty cell) in the correct column (if a barcode is being scanned into the wrong column for instance).
Is it possible to trigger an event like this if a barcode scanner is used outside of a macro running?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Having dealt with barcodes in the past, they are almost always seen in Windows as a type of keyboard input or HID (human interface device), which I don't see how Excel would be able to tell the difference from an actual keyboard entry. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it seems like it would require a deeper level of VBA/Windows hooks.

Upvote 0
Having dealt with barcodes in the past, they are almost always seen in Windows as a type of keyboard input or HID (human interface device), which I don't see how Excel would be able to tell the difference from an actual keyboard entry. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it seems like it would require a deeper level of VBA/Windows hooks.

Yeah, the difficult part is that I want the users to be able to manually type in other columns, but they sometimes scan the barcode into the wrong column so I don't want to prevent all input from the columns i don't want scanned into. If that makes sense. Maybe there's a better alternative?

Upvote 0
Sorry I accidentally wrote the response into the comment (using mobile).

Yeah, the difficult part is that I want the users to be able to manually type in other columns, but they sometimes scan the barcode into the wrong column so I don't want to prevent all input from the columns i don't want scanned into. If that makes sense. Maybe there's a better alternative?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back