Trying to drag down multiple formulas that use other cells, but the results are not as desired.

daft21

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I apologize if my terminology and explanations are not very coherent, but I will do my best to explain what I am trying to do.
This is for my work, and I would appreciate it someone could help me find a solution to this.
I am given a table of dates for different milestones of a set of projects, and for some reason my Project Manager wishes to have those same dates conglomerated into a format in the following fashion:

Project NumberProcessStartDateEndDate
Project 1AWJan-23Jan-23
SCFeb-23Feb-23
TRMar-28Jun-30
DEJul-30Jul-30
DPJul-30Jul-31
PSJul-31Aug-31
Project 2AWJan-24Jan-24
SCFeb-24Feb-24
TRMar-29Jun-31
DEJul-31Jul-31
DPJul-31Jul-32
PSJul-32Aug-32

(The abbreviated words on the left are the labels of each milestone, they are not important to know what they stand for)
The dates are currently being extracted from the table mention before with formulas as simple as =P2, =R2, etc. (All from the same sheet, and the table is to the right of the table that my project manager is requesting out of me)
The table looks like the following:

AWSCTRSTREDEPSSPSE
Project 1Jan-23Feb-23Mar-28Jun-30Jul-30Jul-31Aug-31
Project 2Jan-24Feb-24Mar-29Jun-31Jul-31Jul-32Aug-32
Project 3Jan-25Feb-25Mar-30Jun-32Jul-32Jul-33Aug-33
(Note: These dates were modified for the purpose of demonstrating what I am working with, but altered to keep the information related ambiguous)

So my issue is the following: As I highlight the columns under "Start Date" and "End Date", down to the row "PS", I try to drag down that entire selection so that excel will auto generate the formulas, extracting from the next row (the next project's row) data. In other words, since I am extracting data from "Project 1", which we'll say is 'row 2' on excel, I would want the the auto-generation of formulas to follow row by row, from Project 2, 3, and so on.
What occurs is, as I drag down that selection, it seems to 'skip' rows and give me non-consecutive results. So instead of every formula going in order from row 2, 3, 4, etc., it goes to row 2, 7, 13, 21, etc., skipping the dates I need to extract from on the table provided.
I really would appreciate it someone could help me out with this.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
You need to show the formula

Upvote 0
You need to show the formula
The only formulas I've been using are "=P2", "=Q2", "=R2", etc.
I've provided a screenshot to show the format of what I'm working with, and highlighted in light red the error that I'm receiving.
Again, the only formulas I'm using are as mentioned above, and they are implemented on columns 'C' and 'D'.
1661524330734.png

Upvote 0
And just to clarify, what I'm trying to do is waste less time by just highlighting the cells in columns 'C' and 'D', and dragging them down to 'hopefully' automatically extract the data from the table in columns 'P' to 'V', without skipping each 'Project #'. But for some reason when I drag the highlighted section down, it extracted from the table row from 'Project 8' instead of 'Project 3' as I expected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back