Trying to figure out how to track remaining work in Excel

TheOneTheDave

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've tried for quite a while to figure out the nomenclature of what I'm trying to do, and I am coming up at a bit of a loss. I hate being the guy that asks the same question, but I can't seem to figure out how to formulate my search to return the information I'm looking for. The long and short is, work has tasked me (a fumbling beginner) with creating an Excel based war board to track projects across multiple markets. I have been able to research and add in some automation, but I am completely lost in how to make Excel display X/X in a cell without it trying to divide the values.

To add a bit of context;
I have 20 total projects in one market. I have permits back on 12 of them. I am hoping to get Excel to output 12/20 onto the overview sheet in the workbook. I've found a bit about the MOD function, but I'm not sure if that is going to work the way that I need it to. Is there anyone who has encountered this?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.

how to make Excel display X/X in a cell without it trying to divide the values.
Just use the text format on the cells to be affected before you enter any data.

ScreenShot276.jpg

Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick reply, and the warm welcome!

Will that still hold its formatting if its pulling data from 2 different cells? I have one cell that has a total count of projects based on a sum formula, and then another that counts which cells have conditional formatting using a COUNTIF formula. Using the method above, will the cell still hold the formatting, or is there something else I would need to do?

Upvote 0
The TEXT formatting is strictly for text. As shown on the image attached, even data entered as a formula is converted to text and is therefore not evaluated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back