trying to get text to change color based on a due date, not using confitional formatting.

mike517

Hi, I came with a formula to count 30 days out from the date in the column next to it, now I'm trying to expand on that to have it turn red if it gets to be 10 days or less to the due date. I'm running excel 365 so I don't believe I have access to the Conditional Formatting feature? as an example

A1 A2
12/14/16 1/13/17

when it gets to be 1/3/17 I want A2 to automatically turn red.

The formula I'm working off of is =IF(F3="","",(F3+30)) if that helps??

Thanks everyone!

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I have not heard that Excel 365 (which is essentially Excel 2016) does not have CF. It will be on the Home ribbon if it does - please confirm before we go any further.

Upvote 0
Thanks, good to be here! I appreciate the suggestion, unfortunately its on a work computer and I cant install.

Upvote 0
I have not heard that Excel 365 (which is essentially Excel 2016) does not have CF.

Conditional formatting and data validation are two features entirely missing. The lack of ability to use either Active X objects or form controls (at all) and the lack of ability to edit (unbelievably) shape objects makes 365 a non starter for me.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

It appears that it is not on the ribbon, but you can still use it.
See: The Office 365 Excel Web App Ribbon | ITProPortal

Eh? The article linked states explicitly that it can't and it needs to be open in a local version of Excel

As can be seen, components such as Format Painter and Conditional Formatting are missing compared to the full Excel Office Ribbon. However, should one or more of these components be required, the Open in Excel button on the far right will load the spreadsheet into the full version of Excel on your computer.

Upvote 0
OK. I do not use Excel 365, so I am not entirely sure what that links implies. I didn't think it requires you to already have the full version installed on your computer (if so, it seems it would be a moot point).

I have been searching the internet, and I cannot find anything that says Conditional Formatting doesn't work in Excel 365, and as matter as fact I have found posts where people are using it and have questions about it.

The only other way to do what you want without Conditional Formatting is to use VBA. Is that an option for you?

Upvote 0
I think there's a terminology issue here.
Excel 365 refers to the subscription service. It's not specifically the Web App or the Desktop version, tho it includes a Desktop version, so not sure why you aren't using it.

The Web App is free to anyone, with or without Office 365. It is a (severely) limited version of Excel. Admittedly, they are always adding new functionality to it, but it's limited.

You said you're in an office environment.. my guess is that you're on a Sharepoint server and you're accessing your workbooks through the Web App instead of opening locally on the Desktop? Because if you don't have CF.. you're using the web app. Unless, for some strange reason IT removed CF..

Joe - if he's using the web app - no VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back