Trying to modify invoice to make it extend-able while keeping it protected if possible

JSHER

Well that's just part of it but that's the basics. I put together an invoice that works quite well for our needs. Part of the invoice (heading, etc.) is locked and part contains unlocked cells in which the data is entered and amounts are totaled.

I have a couple of buttons assigned to macros that sit alongside, one of those saves and closes the invoice that was just prepared (with a new name) and also opens a new (blank) sequentially numbered invoice.

The second button merely saves the invoice (newly named), clears and sequentially renumbers the new invoice for use when needed.

This has worked fine until now, when we've had occasion to need more rows to bill for more items than can fit nicely on one page. I've stuggled with various efforts for a couple of days now... changing the cells that contain data to a table and using the built-in extendable feature... which works but does not work when the spreadsheet is protected. I also tried using another button assigned to a macro that would add a row (to non-table cells) but that didn't work out in the end either.

I could go with un-protecting the spreadsheet if necessary but then I find that my other macros aren't returning a fresh invoice as before, that is, the new invoice contains any extra rows and some data that was added in the prior invoice.

Surely I'm not the first with this need. I want to end up with essentially a template that will expand when necessary, automatically update invoice numbers and consistently open with the same one page format that was its original design, regardless of whether it last was 2 pages or not.

I hope I've been clear enough. My mind is boggled from googling and trying so many different things.... Thanks for your time.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back