Trying to move Conditional Formatting to VBA

Aaron DOJ

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Excel Masters!

I am creating a Template that will be used by many people, I am noticing (during my Alpha testing) that there is lag while entering data. Additionally, the users will have to insert rows in the existing fields and when that happens I am noticing some Conditional Formats issues that are happening. I have a lot of Conditional Formats and in an effort to reduce the lag and another issues I am thinking that having most of my Conditional Formatting in VBA will help.

The first thing I am trying to accomplish is if a cell in G10:G900 range is =1999 it will come out to a light blue (as well as any cell to the right (H10:AA900)). Best I can tell the command should look something like the below, but clearly I am missing something as it is not working:
VBA Code:
Sub MultipleConditionalFormattingExample()
Dim MyRange As Range
'Create range object
Set MyRange = Range("H10:AA900")
'Delete previous conditional formats
MyRange.FormatConditions.Delete

MyRange.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlCellValue, Operator:=xlEqual, _
        Formula1:=G10: G900 = 1999       'ultimately this will be any year ending in an odd number
MyRange.FormatConditions(1).Interior.Color = RGB(189, 215, 238)

End Sub

Below is the Conditional Formatting Rule.
1623706605262.png

And below is the above working in excel.
1623706569160.png

Thank you in advance,
-Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Is this what you're looking for?

Code:
Sub AAronDOJ()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 10 To lr
 If Cells(i, "G") = 1999 Then
  Range("G" & i & ":AA" & i).Interior.Color = RGB(89, 215, 238)
 End If
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi.
If user insert rows above row #900 then the Format Conditions will be extended accordingly. Eg. if two rows were inserted then FC is now applied until row #902.
If you don't want that and if there aren't others FC on range G:AA then uncomment the first row of the code in order to delete FC from that range ~~~> Columns("G:AA").FormatConditions.Delete
VBA Code:
 'Columns("G:AA").FormatConditions.Delete 'delete FC on columns G:AA
 With [G10:AA900]
  .FormatConditions.Delete 'not needed if deleted earlier
  .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=$G10=1999"
  .FormatConditions(1).Interior.Color = RGB(189, 215, 238)
 End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Is this what you're looking for?

Code:
Sub AAronDOJ()
For i = 10 To lr
 If Cells(i, "G") = 1999 Then
  Range("G" & i & ":AA" & i).Interior.Color = RGB(89, 215, 238)
 End If
Next i
End Sub
Thank you for the assistance in the code. I tried it and it does work, however, I am not familiar with a lot of the code format you provided. Specifically, how is
For i = 10 To lr
working?
How would I go about adding more years to that code?
Is there something I could do that would say if any cell text in range G10:G900 ends with 1,3,5,7,9 then RGB(189, 215, 238)?

Upvote 0
Hi.
If user insert rows above row #900 then the Format Conditions will be extended accordingly. Eg. if two rows were inserted then FC is now applied until row #902.
If you don't want that and if there aren't others FC on range G:AA then uncomment the first row of the code in order to delete FC from that range ~~~> Columns("G:AA").FormatConditions.Delete
VBA Code:
 'Columns("G:AA").FormatConditions.Delete 'delete FC on columns G:AA
  .FormatConditions.Delete 'not needed if deleted earlier
  .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="=$G10=1999"
  .FormatConditions(1).Interior.Color = RGB(189, 215, 238)
 End With
End Sub
Thank you, I do have something similar to that already, not sure if I will turn it on or not. As I stated before there is a lot of Conditional Formatting I am trying to move over to VBA and I am not sure if I can move it all and make it work. So I might need to make sure it does not delete anything I could not get into VBA. Specifically, a select few rows have the following and I need to ensure it stays in only that cell, I have 51 of those below. However, if a user adds a row, say at row 10, then code needs to change to =AND($S22<>$S24,$S22<>0) (AKA move down one to adjust)....any ideas on how to go about doing that?
1623772798822.png

Upvote 0
Thank you for the assistance in the code. I tried it and it does work, however, I am not familiar with a lot of the code format you provided. Specifically, how is
For i = 10 To lr
working?
How would I go about adding more years to that code?
Is there something I could do that would say if any cell text in range G10:G900 ends with 1,3,5,7,9 then RGB(189, 215, 238)?
The variable lr is the "last row" of data in the G column. The routine then loops through rows 10 to the last row and sets the interior color if the cell contains 1999.
Are you now saying that the cells in the G column contain TEXT rather than numbers and the text (possible could) end with a number rather than test for the number 1999?
If so, you could change the test to:
Code:
 If Right(Cells(i, "G"), 1) Mod 2 = 1 Then

If that's what you mean.

Upvote 0
The variable lr is the "last row" of data in the G column. The routine then loops through rows 10 to the last row and sets the interior color if the cell contains 1999.
Are you now saying that the cells in the G column contain TEXT rather than numbers and the text (possible could) end with a number rather than test for the number 1999?
If so, you could change the test to:
Code:
 If Right(Cells(i, "G"), 1) Mod 2 = 1 Then

If that's what you mean.
Column G is actually a dropdown list, and if I understand it correctly once a selection is selected it is considered text?
1623775315473.png

Upvote 0
Column G is actually a dropdown list, and if I understand it correctly once a selection is selected it is considered text?
View attachment 40847
It's not necessarily text depending on the table from which you are selecting. In this case, the choice is from a list of numbers. You can use =ISNUMBER(G10) for example to see that's the case.

So, if you're trying to test for even or odd years you don't need to use the RIGHT function. Just use:
Code:
If Cells(i, "G") Mod 2 = 1 Then

Upvote 0
It's not necessarily text depending on the table from which you are selecting. In this case, the choice is from a list of numbers. You can use =ISNUMBER(G10) for example to see that's the case.

So, if you're trying to test for even or odd years you don't need to use the RIGHT function. Just use:
Code:
Fantastic! that has all of the correct rows (odds) highlighted...so this is what I have atm:

Columns("G:AA").FormatConditions.Delete 'delete FC on columns G:AA
.FormatConditions.Delete
End With
For i = 10 To lr
Range("G" & i & ":AA" & i).Interior.Color = RGB(189, 215, 238)
End If
Next i
End Sub

Any thoughts on how to do post/remark #5 above?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back