Trying to optimize this function to find numbers after a specific text

Rnkhch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I found this formula online and adapted it to some extent, and I'm trying to figure out how it works, but also why I get some strange results.

My goal is to find and extract only the numbers that occur after a specific text in a string, in this case the word "day". So in this example, I need the output to be "1". I don't want the numbers that are further to the right of the numbers that are closest to "day". Here in the case of A8, I get a strange output, and wonder why.

Of course, if there are other better formulas, please let me know as well.

Book1
ABCD
1dfeDay1 gh23gew1
2Day 1 gh23gew451
3gejxqwqDay 1gh23gew1
4dfegejday 1 )gh23gew1
5dfegej32day 1 )gh23gew1
6dfegej32gh23gewDay 11
7dfegej32gh23gewDay 1a1
8j32gh23gewDay 1 an0.041667
9j32gh23gewDay 1an1
10dfeDay-1 gh23gew31
11dfeDay-1 -gh23gew1
12dfeDay-(1) -gh23gew1
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C12C1=LOOKUP(10^6,1*MID(A1,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789",SEARCH("Day",""&A1&""))),{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25}))

Thanks for any input!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Just been thinking about it a bit more though, and not knowing anything about your real data, all the formula methods (so far at least) could give you some unexpected results I think - see below.
I have suggested another formula solution in column G that should eliminate such a possibility.
Nice one! Thanks Peter.

It's reminiscent of the problem geneticists have with Excel being "helpful":

Gene name errors are widespread in the scientific literature - Genome Biology

Upvote 0
Cheers Stephen. (y)
Hope things are all good down your way!

That article looked vaguely familiar so I was wondering if you may have pointed me to it previously. But no, I think that it must have been this post. 😎

Upvote 0
It's interesting you brought this up. I'm a scientist, and I've definitely seen this happening.

But here's a another mind-boggling issue that I'm encountering with your newest formula in G2:

So I have this function that evaluates to "Day 5" as a single cell, not a spill:

A2=UNIQUE(FILTER(FMBMcReqDay,(FMBMcGeqSID=B35)*(FMBMcIeqReq=D35)*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sample",FMBMcL)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sputum",FMBMcPeqSpec)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Day",FMBMcReqDay)))))

Now, when I use your formula such that it refers to cell A2, it works perfectly fine, and I get "5":
=LET(r,REPLACE(A2,1,SEARCH("day",A2),""),ch,MID(r,SEQUENCE(LEN(r)),1),LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(CONCAT(IF(ISNUMBER(ch+0),ch," ")))," ",REPT(" ",20)),20)+0)

However, if I substitute the two occurrences of "A2" within the formula with the actual long formula of mine above, as shown below, then I get #VALUE! error (A value used in the formula is of the wrong data type): 😭😭

=LET(r,REPLACE((UNIQUE(FILTER(FMBMcReqDay,(FMBMcGeqSID=B35)*(FMBMcIeqReq=D35)*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sample",FMBMcL)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sputum",FMBMcPeqSpec)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Day",FMBMcReqDay)))))),1,SEARCH("day",(UNIQUE(FILTER(FMBMcReqDay,(FMBMcGeqSID=B35)*(FMBMcIeqReq=D35)*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sample",FMBMcL)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sputum",FMBMcPeqSpec)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Day",FMBMcReqDay))))))),""),ch,MID(r,SEQUENCE(LEN(r)),1),LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(CONCAT(IF(ISNUMBER(ch+0),ch," ")))," ",REPT(" ",20)),20)+0)

Any idea why this could be happening? 😯🧐

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any idea why this could be happening?
In a word, it's FILTER() that's causing the problem.

I haven't looked at modifying Peter's formula, but if your UNIQUE(FILTER(...)) will always return a single value, you could use XLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH instead:

=XLOOKUP(1,(FMBMcGeqSID=B35)*(FMBMcIeqReq=D35)*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sample",FMBMcL))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sputum",FMBMcPeqSpec))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Day",FMBMcReqDay)),FMBMcReqDay)

However, if I substitute the two occurrences of "A2" within the formula with the actual long formula of mine above ....
You're backsliding! ;) I've seen you on another thread happily using LET() to eliminate all double occurrences.

Rather than building monster formulae, I suggest you try going the other way - build Peter's formula into a LAMBDA for easy repeat use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks! Yeah, I haven't forgotten LET lol 😅 I was first trying to see what was causing the error. But I will totally do the LET and LAMBDA once I figure everything out.

So I checked your XLOOKPUP formula, and it works fine when there is only one matching cell. What should I do if there are more than one identical matches?

That's the situation I'm at with my big data. I either have one single match, or multiple matches that are identical (but so far I haven't seen multiple different matches).

Upvote 0
What should I do if there are more than one identical matches?
You tell us!

So far, we've assumed your "Day" cells are single values.

If A1 is a spill formula, you could do:

=BYROW(A1#,LAMBDA(r,GetDayNo(r)))

after you've created your GetDayNo LAMBDA.

Upvote 0
So far, we've assumed your "Day" cells are single values.
Yes, they have been single because I've been using UNIQUE which causes the FILTER to not spill.

What should I do if there are more than one identical matches?
This question was specifically for your XLOOKPUP formula which gives an error for those instances when there are multiple identical matches, so maybe I should have asked, If I don't use FILTER and instead use XLOOPKUP, how can I combine UNIQUE with XLOOKUP 😅

If A1 is a spill formula, you could do
I hope to keep everything in A as non-spill single cells, but I am playing with your BYROW suggestion for my own learning 🧠

But to recap things, I'm at the stage of posts #15 and #16 where FILTER is giving the #VALUE! error and XLOOKUP only partially works (i.e. for single matches) and gives #N/A! error (A value is not available for the formula or function) for when there are multiple identical matches.

So I need a function to put in place of the two occurrences of A2 in Peter's formula such that the whole formula doesn't lead to any error.

Perhaps a conditional statement like this to go in place of the two A2 occurrences through a LET (where I've highlighted Peter's formula):

D2=LET(y,LET(x,XLOOKUP(1,(FMBMcGeqSID=B35)*(FMBMcIeqReq=D35)*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sample",FMBMcL))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("sputum",FMBMcPeqSpec))*ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Day",FMBMcReqDay)),FMBMcReqDay),IF(ISERROR(x),(use another function),x)),LET(r,REPLACE(y,1,SEARCH("day",y),""),ch,MID(r,SEQUENCE(LEN(r)),1),LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(CONCAT(IF(ISNUMBER(ch+0),ch," ")))," ",REPT(" ",20)),20)+0))

And I need that "another" function lol 😅

And of course I would eventually put the whole thing in a LAMBDA.

Does my reasoning sound good?

Upvote 0
P.S.

Of course, if there could be a single function to be "y", then so much the better as there would be no need for that conditional statement in my example above 😅

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back