Trying to pair names randomly into teams??

poop91407

First off, I'm a novice at excel.

I need some help. I work at a golf course.
At work, I need to randomly pair players together to form teams.

For example:
Saturday morning, there are 19 golfers signed up to play together, but want to paired randomly.

This is what we currently do:
In cells A1:A27 I type their names. In B1:B27, I type their handicaps.

We then use a deck of cards to randomly draw teams. We do this by pulling 4-A's, 4-k's, 4-Q's, 4-J's, and 3-10's from the deck. We shuffle these cards and then go down the names in colum A and assign each palyer a card and place the card value into column C. We then highlight all three columns and sort by column C to form teams.

This works ok, but the problem is they all tee off at the same time and need a "super quick" process to form teams in seconds.

The only variable that I might see being a problem is the # of players vary each time they play. There might be 12 one day and 51 the next. We have to form teams into 4 somes and 3 somes, based on the total number of players we get.

Any help appreciated... The easier the better!! Thanks!

My next question would be. Is it possible to split this into two groups so that you would have the top 30 players paired with the bottom 30 players so you would have more of an even contest rather than the best two players ending up playing the worst two players.
Andrew

NamesSeedingNamesSeedingTeamsPairs
Andrew1Bill31Team 1Andrew1
Fred2Mary32Joan33
John3Joan33Teams 2Steve4
Steve4Frank34Bill31
Team 3John3
Mary32
Teams 4Fred2
Frank34

<tbody>
</tbody>

Matt,

I'm not sure how to change the macro around for this task, but here is a sheet that handles flights several ways using formulas. I think it's pretty slick. A generous forum member helped me with the basic formula last year, and I expanded upon it. Hopefully this link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut3pb5uzlu9cgz2/Tournament Helper Pairings By Flight.xlsx?dl=0

Kevin

M

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
AWESOME I have just been practising with it and it is very slick as you say. I can do basic funtions using excel and it is great that their is a communtiy out there ready to pass along help and guidance. Have not really changed much of the macro but I will see what happens when I clear the data to see if it goes back to the original. "So thanks for that".
Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back