Trying to Replicate a Mysterious Format

swanjun

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Each month, my supervisor has to update an Excel spreadsheet pertaining to different strategic initiatives. Our work unit has two that we're reporting out on. She didn't make this spreadsheet and neither did I.

Because we've been reporting out on these initiatives for a while, there's a lot of text in the cells she adds her comments to. We don't want to change the layout because we didn't make the spreadsheet.

The issue is that for the *second* of the two initiatives, if you double-click the cell, it will sort of... spool (unfurl?) out and show you all the contents of that cell.

If you double-click the comparable cell for the first initiative, it has the effect of hitting F2. In that, it puts your cursor at the end of the text in the field as though you were wanting to add some more.

We want both cells to do the spool thing.

I have tried just copying the formatting from one to the other. It doesn't work. What's weird is that it *does* work when you flatout copy the second one on top of the first one. Spools beautifully. However, when you go to put the correct text back in it... poof. No more spooling.

I've checked for conditional formatting. I've checked for macros. I don't see either.

Why is this spooling happening in the first place? How do I replicate it on the other cell while retaining the correct text in that cell?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I think this is based on a "Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick" event.
Rightclick on the tab with the name of the sheet and chose View code; this should open the vba environment and show the code that create that effect.

Bye

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion!

Looking at the code all I see is this, which I think might be the typical default:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

End Sub

Upvote 0
So (betting you right-clicked on the correct sheet name tab) you don't have a "Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick" macro

While in the vba editor, search for "ThisWorkbook" module in the VBAProject tree, and doubleclick on it to open it; check if you have a "Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick", that trigger at any doubleclick in any worksheet.

Attachments

• ThisWB_Immagine 2022-04-27 152656.jpg
    ThisWB_Immagine 2022-04-27 152656.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
I appreciate your clear instructions!

I found the "ThisWorkbook" module and this is what I see:

Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

End Sub

Upvote 0
Reading this it seems like the cell that does the spooling has WrapText set to true and the one that does not set to false. It is he only way i can create something similar.

Try enabling WrapText for both cells and see if that has the desired effect.

Upvote 0
They both already do have Wrap Text enabled. When comparing the formatting, I can't see anything different between them.

I worry I'm not describing it correctly. It kind of.. unfurls like a scroll or something. Unfortunately, I don't think I am permitted to actually share the document itself.

Upvote 0
If there isn't any code in any of the tabs then I am not sure how it could be doing it. Is there any code at all in the Workbook Module/ Worksheet module/ Standard Modules?

Upvote 0
Thus no macro bot in the Sheet and ThisWorkbook modules
Can you check if there is any "Class module" in your VBAProject?
Also, does the magic cell has an hyperlink?

Finally, I am not sure about what happens when you doubleclick on the (magic) cell; could you explain with more words and maybe get a screenshot of it?

Attachments

• CLASS_Immagine 2022-04-27 170735.jpg
    CLASS_Immagine 2022-04-27 170735.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
There is no Class module amongst the Microsoft Excel Objects for this VBAProject and it doesn't contain a hyperlink.

Unfortunately, I am not permitted to share a screenshot of it but I will try to describe it a little better.

The cell in question has a height of 408.75 and a width of 80.14. The row is so tall it takes up half my Excel window when it is the top row displaying.

When I double click on the magic cell, it unfurls like a scroll and now I can read everything that's in it. It now covers the whole right side of my Excel window.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back