Trying to use data from one cell to auto populate other cell(s)

nexxus

I'm not sure how to explain this.. but I'll try.

I get a report that has a list of cards used by employees. the report doesn't identify the employee or the branch they work in, only the card number.
I have to find a way to review the card # column and assign the correct employee and branch based on each card. I usually have about 1000 lines with multiple entries for each card.

Each report may or may not contain different card entries. I was hoping that I could build a table with the full data info and then cross reference it, but I'm not sure how.. and I'm really not keen on using and IF function with over 500 variables per line.

I've tried Vlookup with no success. The report already comes to be with the card info so I'm not actually inputting that field.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
nexus Glad to see you here:

We need exact details about how your report looks.''

I assume it's a Excel Worksheet.

Give us some detailed information about what's in the report that we need to know.

For example what column are these card numbers in and how do you match up card numbers with employee name.

I would think you will need to have a second worksheet Sheet(2) with Employee names in column "A" Branch Name in column "B" and card number in column 3

Then we could have a Macro script math up the names card numbers an branches.

If Sheet (1) has your card number in column "A" the script after being run could put the Employee name into column "C" on Sheet (1) the branch in column "D" of Sheet (1)

Is this the sort of thing you want?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back