Turning an Action Query into a Select

giacomo

You know how if you have a make table, update or append query you can click the "View" button and see the recordset without actually executing the query? I am wondering if there is a way to replicate this using a DAO recordset. In other words, if I have a querydef for a append query is there a way I can loop thru the records that will be inserted before doing the insert?

I am assuming not, but thought I'd ask anyway. The way I think I'll have to do it is by taking the SQL and reworking it. And if I do have to rework the SQL does anyone know how to do a replace with a wildcard like I asked in this post?

Hope I'm making sense, let me know if I need to clarify.

Thanks,
Giacomo

Aaaargh, I'm blind - too much data.

Don't get me wrong. My first "Simple & Cool Approach" wasn't about my code, it was about Sydney's. Often, I feel like I've got developer tunnel vision once I figure out a way I can do it, especially if it's written for re-use.

I think, if you really want to do this right, you're going to have to decompose and then recompose the SQL. You probably understand what I mean, however, I'm thinking you should break the SQL statement into it's components and store them relationally either in tables or in dynamically ReDim'd arrays. Once you have it stored as data, you can build modules to automate the re-creation algorithms.

Start with Select a, b, c, d, e FROM tbl WHERE b=1 ORDER BY d

You might start by grabbing the SELECT keyword and dropping it into a parent table. You'd have a field table that would store each field in a related child record. You'd then go back to select and grab the FROM keyword and store the tbl - relationally as the source. You'd then grab the WHERE & ORDER keywords separately and store the contents.

To re-build it, you would just assemble it by in reverse order.

I got close to wanting to do this once, but didn't need it and settled on code similar to what I posted previously. I was thinking that you probably do not need more than three tables in a series of Parent-Child one-to-many relationships to handle any possible SQL statement.

Closest thing to a hard part would be the need to type in all the SQL keywords - you'd probably want to store them in a table with some sort of additional field that describes what the code should do with it once it detects it.

Of course, the problem with all this is, it makes a lot of sense - it's slick, would work anywhere and is highly re-usable, but how much time do you want to spend on it when you're doing something else?

Mike

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Aaaargh, I'm blind - too much data.
:unsure: not following...

in any case here's what I came up with for Update queries I made a recursive function to handle the unparsing and reparsing:

Code:
Sub reworkUpdate(Q As DAO.QueryDef)
Dim newSQL As String
Dim intSet As Integer
Dim IntWhere As Integer
Dim strFrom As String
Dim strSelect As String
Dim strWhereEtc As String
Dim strSQL As String

' Remove semicolon and line breaks
strSQL = Replace(Replace(Q.sql, ";", vbNullString), vbNewLine, vbNullString, , 100)

intSet = InStr(1, strSQL, "SET")
IntWhere = InStr(1, strSQL, "WHERE")

If IntWhere = 0 Then
     IntWhere = Len(strSQL) + 1
End If

strFrom = " FROM" & Mid(strSQL, 7, intSet - 7)
strSelect = "SELECT " & buildSelect(Mid(strSQL, intSet + 4, IntWhere), ",", " = ", ",")
strWhereEtc = Mid(strSQL, IntWhere)

newSQL = strSelect & strFrom & strWhereEtc

Debug.Print "Original SQL: " & Q.sql
Debug.Print "New SQL: " & newSQL

End Sub

Public Function buildSelect(strTxt As String, strDelimiter As String, Optional strTrim As String, Optional strConcat As String) As String
' Recursive function to build a select statement from a SET list in an Update query
Dim x As Integer
Dim y As Integer

x = InStr(strTxt, strDelimiter)
y = InStr(strTxt, strTrim)

If x > 0 Then
    buildSelect = Left(strTxt, y - 1) & strConcat & buildSelect(Mid(strTxt, x + 1), strDelimiter, strTrim, strConcat)
Else
    buildSelect = Left(strTxt, y - 1)
End If

End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back