Turning off the @ function

peterfitz

I want to enter a date and time as: "10/14/2009@2:28 pm"
How can I do this without having Excel turn it into an email address? I tried pre formating as text, custom formatting, and the only solution I have come up with is to precede the date and time with an inverted comma. I couldn't find anything on the Excel help.
Is there a global 'off' for this function?? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Gave it a go but it didn't work. I also tried with a hh in case that was a typo. Found another work around in that if you type it in one cell then use 'Paste Special> values' - to another cell it pastes as regular text. Perhaps that may spark another thought on how to get around the problem.

As they will be entering 20+ of these per day, I'd much rather find a format cells solution if possible.

Peter

Upvote 0
BoozeBoy's suggestion worked for me.

Entering the date as: dd-mm-yy h:mm
yielded dd/mm/yy @ h:mm as a result.
Ie you need to make sure Excel understands it as a date and time when entered.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the follow up!

Here's a cut and paste from my custom format window showing my entry for formatting the column:

mm/dd/yy"@"h:mm AM/PM;@

Here's what I get when I enter the date and time in a cell:;-
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 height=17><TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64 height=17>10/14/09@12:36 pm</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>(showing as a blue underlined link)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It seems I am making some basic error here...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming you're using xl2003 or below go Tools>Autocorrect Options>Autoformat as you type tab>uncheck "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks"

Upvote 0
Strangely enough I do not get that problem, and I have the autocorrect on.
Hmm ok tried one thing.
Type the numbers but do NOT include the "@". Just the numbers.
The format will place the "@" for you.

Upvote 0
Both solutions work! - i.e. ommiting the "@" during data entry, and by turning off the option through tools.

So that I learn from this, Explicimu two points in your solution Snowblizz, why only one h for hours not hh:mm, and whast does the ;@ at the end of the formula do?

I appreciate all the input. It has resolved my issue.

peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back