Two drop down lists to look-up correct value from table?

raraavis619

Hello all - thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I'm trying to create a quoting tool where the user selects the labor requirements (normal, after hours, union) [B5] and room type [B15] from their respective drop down lists - the form then pulls the correct price from a table based on those values [Columns B, C, D].

I'm stuck - I've tried variations of vlookup, index/match - but I can't figure out how to pull the table data based on the two drop down criteria. Please let me know if there's any additional information needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Form1.png
Table.png

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hey there, I've quickly replicated some of this and come up with this, is this what you're looking for:

MappingDocument.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJ
2Room NameRoom PriceRoom Price - After HrsRoom Price - UnionJob Setup Questionnaire
41-on-1 Pod - Team Pod 40"2111.52312.092333.21Labor Requirements
5Work Café3316.943632.053665.22After Hours
9Room NameRoom CountPrice Per Room
101-on-1 Pod - Team Pod 40"12312.09
Setup
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
J10J10=INDEX($A$4:$D$5,MATCH(H10,$A$4:$A$5,0),SWITCH($H$5,"Normal",2,"After hours",3,"Union",4))

Upvote 0
This is perfect! I'm in awe - I've been fumbling around with this for way too long. Thank you so much for your help. Very greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
This is perfect! I'm in awe - I've been fumbling around with this for way too long. Thank you so much for your help. Very greatly appreciated!

No problem! It was just a case of... or should I say switch of ;) having it match a value that wasn't exact, e.g. "Normal" being associated with"Room Price" - so the SWITCH function just translates the labor requirement drop down in to either 2,3 or 4 which correlates to the column number in the data set, then the row number is just matched based on the users room name drop down which again is located in the first column of the data set :)

Upvote 0
That's a very helpful explanation of the process. I hadn't run into the SWITCH function in my research - that was the key! Thank you again and have a great day!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back