Two Excel Files, Duplicate Information

dorothy831

I have two files both may contain the same row of information, example my name is on both files. Is there a process to eliminate the duplicate rows of information?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I have two files both may contain the same row of information, example my name is on both files.
Are we just looking for the same information in, say, column A of each file? Or are we looking at multiple columns that all have to be the same?

Is there a process to eliminate the duplicate rows of information?
From one file (which one?) or from both?

Additional info that may help somebody assist you would be the file names, the sheet names and a bit more about the layout and data in the sheets.

Upvote 0
Working in a report writer I needed to extract all active employees as of 5/31/08 but I also needed to capture all rehires and terminations between 6/1/07 to 5/31/08, but could not get this information in one report, hence the two files.

So I have rows of data containing in cell A location, Cell B paygroup, Cell C name, Cell D hire date, Cell E rehire date, Cell F termination date as an example.
I may have myself in both of those files because I was an active employee as of 5/31/08 on the one file and I was a rehire as of 8/1/07 on the other file.

I know I can copy and paste the data from the one file into the other but would like to eliminate any duplicates such as the example provided above.

Upvote 0
Dorothy

You didn't directly answer any of my questions, so if you still require help with this some more information would be needed.

Are we just looking for the same information in, say, column A of each file? Or are we looking at multiple columns that all have to be the same?
Although not directly answered, I am guessing that the check needs to be on column C (name) only. Is that correct? In other words, if the same name appears in column C of each file then that is considered a duplicate and should be deleted?

From one file (which one?) or from both?
When/if a duplicate is found is it to be deleted from both files or just one? If just one, which one?

Additional info that may help somebody assist you would be the file names, the sheet names
What are the file names and the sheet names?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back