Two products on a Single date, Pivot date grouping through gaps

Rajendra_kodavaty

I have the following sample daily production data as below. The three digit code represent a product.
Code:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">11-Mar-15   LBA
12-Mar-15   LBB
12-Mar-15   PXA
13-Mar-15   GNA
</code>
When i want to apply pivot i get the above data as below since two products are manufactured on same data
Code:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">3/11/15 LBA
3/12/15 LBB
        PXA
3/13/15 GNA
</code>
I wanted to show the report based on month and I also understand that pivot will not be able to group the dates by month if there are any gaps in between. How can i bypass this to group dates by Month?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Hi,

what version of Excel is at your disposal? In Excel 2010 or more recent versions you can repeat item and fields labels.

Here some instructions:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repeat-item-labels-in-a-PivotTable-report-882bdb55-9cdc-4d8d-b531-8e96e41dea31

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My question was not to repeat the column labels but to group them as per the month. For example i have the following daily production report

Code:
3/11/15 ABC
3/12/15 GHI
3/16/15 DHI
7/20/15 YHU
7/20/15 FGI
7/21/15 FGI

When i convert it to pivot i get the same after checking repeat item labels but without checking the box you would find gap in last but one row under date.
I want the desired format to be displayed in months rather than dates as below

Code:
Mar-15 ABC
Mar-15 GHI
Mar-15 DHI
Jul-15 YHU
Jul-15 FGI

Now i have come to know that of there are any gaps the excel will not be able to group the dates in to months. How can i get over it to achieve the desired result?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Smitty, But i have posted the link of the post in other forum, which was allowed as per rules. How do you want suggest me to do otherwise

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back