Two worksheets on two different monitors

test_man2

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings! Is there a way to open the same spreadsheet (on the same computer) twice so that one can view two different worksheets at the same time? I'd like to reference worksheet1 while building a formula in worksheet2 without having to flip back and forth. Right now, the only way I can think of doing that is to make a copy of the spreadsheet, perhaps name it name_ref1, and then open both spreadsheets. Is there a way to open just one spreadsheet instead?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Not sure if this works with different monitors, but if you go to the View tab & select New Window, you can look at two different sheets at the same time.

Upvote 0
Solution
There is a registry entry that you can create so that Excel opens a new instance with every workbook. I use it on all of my computers. There are a few variations of the entry that I've seen, but give this one a try.

Edit the Registry

• First, close all instances of Excel.
  • Open the Registry Editor.
  • Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Options.
  • Click Edit in the menu, press New, and select DWORD value.
  • Name the entry ‘DisableMergeInstance’, press enter.
  • Right-click the entry DisableMergeInstance, and select Modify.
  • In the Value data box, fill in 1, and click OK.

Upvote 0
Ah, just found a link to the one that I use...

Works for all versions of Windows so far.

Upvote 0
There is a registry entry that you can create so that Excel opens a new instance with every workbook. I use it on all of my computers. There are a few variations of the entry that I've seen, but give this one a try.
One caveat with that, that is probably worth mentioning.
If you have any VBA code that needs to work across workbooks, this setting would wreak havoc with that, as I don't believe VBA can see Excel workbooks open in other instances of Excel (I believe it can only see workbooks opened in the same instance of Excel).

Upvote 0
Joe4, all of my workbooks show up in the same Developer window...seems to work just fine for me.

Upvote 0
Joe4, all of my workbooks show up in the same Developer window...seems to work just fine for me.
That's odd. That seems to suggest that they aren't separate instances.
Under your current set-up, are you able to open the exact same file twice (at the same time)?

If I have an Excel instance open on my computer, and then open another instance using the method explained in section 1.3 here: 7 Ways to Open Multiple Instances of Excel - Gorilla BI, I can only see the current file in VBA, and not the file open in my first instance.

I can run this VBA code and confirm that VBA does not see the other Excel file in the other instance:
VBA Code:
Sub AllActiveFiles()

Dim wb As Workbook

For Each wb In Workbooks
        MsgBox wb.Name
    Next wb

End Sub
It only lists the file I just opened, and not the other Excel file open in my first instance.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the confirmation. A lot better than playing around with the registry (IMO)

Upvote 0
That's odd. That seems to suggest that they aren't separate instances.
Under your current set-up, are you able to open the exact same file twice (at the same time)?

If I have an Excel instance open on my computer, and then open another instance using the method explained in section 1.3 here: 7 Ways to Open Multiple Instances of Excel - Gorilla BI, I can only see the current file in VBA, and not the file open in my first instance.

I can run this VBA code and confirm that VBA does not see the other Excel file in the other instance:
VBA Code:
Sub AllActiveFiles()

Dim wb As Workbook

For Each wb In Workbooks
        MsgBox wb.Name
    Next wb

End Sub
It only lists the file I just opened, and not the other Excel file open in my first instance.
I cannot open the same file in two windows...but every different file I open is in it's own instance of Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back