UDF Application.Volatile and Other Workbooks

MikeMcCollister

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have some user defined functions (UDF) that I have added Application.Volatile to. They work fine and if I make changes to a sheet in my workbook the functions get called. However, I just found out that if I have a second workbook open and make changes to that then the workbook with Application.Volatile in the UDFs gets updated. Is there a way to get Application.Volatile so that if another workbook is changed that those UDFs don't run?

Thanks,

Mike

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I have tried to solve that before. I think I did a test in the Function to see if the current workbook was "Thisworkbook" Can't remember if I got it to work

Upvote 0
Jeffrey,

Thanks. I've investigated that and I can't get it to work. With my code below it runs the first time I open the xlsm sheet and subsequent times. However, when I make changes to the non-xlsm sheet it gets called once and then never again until I force the xlsm sheet to recalculate.

VBA Code:
Function SheetName() As String
    Debug.Print "Enter SheetName()"

If (Application.ThisWorkbook.Name = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Name) Then
        Application.Volatile

Debug.Print "Volatile SheetName()"
    End If

SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name
End Function

From the documentation, Application.Volatile method (Excel) | Microsoft Docs, it states that "The function will be recalculated when any cell in any workbook in the application window changes value."

It looks like what I want to do is not possible. Thanks for your help. This is not a major issue, just a curiosity at this point.

Regards,

Mike

Upvote 0
Oh BTW, if you want a formula instead of a UDF to get the sheet name, here ya go:
=MID(@CELL("filename",Payroll!AC1),FIND("]",@CELL("filename",Payroll!AC1))+1,100)

Replace Payroll with any sheet name. If you change the name of the sheet, it will also change.

Upvote 0
Jeffrey,

Thanks. I'm familiar of not using a UDF to get the sheet name. However, I have other UDF functions that need to get the sheet name so I encapsulated it into a function.

Regards,

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back