UDF returns #Value Error when other sheets are recalculated.

ebraatz

Board Regular
I have a UDF called CountPeriod which is a glorified version of CountIf. The workbook is used to tally student attendance. There is one tab per month with a linear calendar at the top of the page. To the Right, I need to tally the absences and tardies for each student based on which of 3 Periods/Terms that particular month is in. These monthly tallies are all totaled on a finally summary sheet. The Start and End Dates are named ranges on a separate sheet. Based on these dates, the UDF determines what range to include in the CountIf Function. The function is working as needed except that it returns a [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=value]#value [/URL] error unless forced to recalculate via Ctrl+Shft+Alt+F9. This Workbook is being designed for an excel novice so I need to figure out how to get this straightened out. The [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=value]#value [/URL] error is only coming in where PeriodRange (in the code below) Is Not Nothing. In essence, where I should get a returned not-Zero value, I get [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=value]#value [/URL] . Like I said, when I force the calculation, I get the correct result.

Code:
Function CountPeriod(StartDate As Range, EndDate As Range, DateRange As Range, _
                        CountRange As Range, CountWhat1 As Variant, Optional CountWhat2 As Variant, _
                        Optional CountWhat3 As Variant) As Long

Dim FirstDate As Range
    Dim LastDate As Range
    Dim MatchED As Range
    Dim MatchSD As Range
    Dim PeriodRange As Range

Dim m As Long
    Dim R As Long

If DateRange.Rows.Count > 1 Then
        MsgBox "DateRange must be a singular row"
    End If

Set FirstDate = DateRange.Worksheet.Cells(DateRange.Row, DateRange.Columns(1).Column)          'First day of selected DateRange

With DateRange                                                      'Find last date in DateRange
        Set LastDate = .Find("*", After:=.Cells(1), _
            LookIn:=xlValues, searchorder:=xlByColumns, Searchdirection:=xlPrevious)
    End With

'Find where the Period starts and ends in relation to the selected DateRange
    Select Case StartDate.Value

Case Is < FirstDate.Value               'Period begins before the selected DateRange begins

Select Case EndDate.Value

Case Is > FirstDate.Value       'Period Ends after selected DateRange begins

Case Is > LastDate.Value    'Period starts before and ends after selected DateRange

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, FirstDate.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, LastDate.Column))

Case Is < LastDate.Value    'Period begins before daterange starts, but ends before DateRange ends

m = Application.Match(CLng(CDate(EndDate.Value)), DateRange, 0)
                            Set MatchED = Cells(DateRange.Row, DateRange.Columns(m).Column)

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, FirstDate.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, MatchED.Column))

Case Is = LastDate.Value    'Period begins before daterange starts and ends on last day of DateRange

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, FirstDate.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, LastDate.Column))

End Select

Case Is < FirstDate.Value   'Period Ends before selected daterange begins

CountPeriod = 0

Case Is = FirstDate.Value   'Period ends on first day of Daterange

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Cells(CountRange.Row, FirstDate.Column)

End Select

Case Is > FirstDate.Value               'Period begins after the selected DateRange begins

Select Case StartDate.Value

Case Is > LastDate.Value        'Period begins after daterange ends

CountPeriod = 0

Case Is < LastDate.Value        'Period begins after start, but before end of DateRange

m = Application.Match(CLng(CDate(StartDate.Value)), DateRange, 0)
                    Set MatchSD = DateRange.Worksheet.Cells(DateRange.Row, DateRange.Columns(m).Column)

Case Is < LastDate.Value    'Period ends before the DateRange Ends - Period is contained entirely within daterange

m = Application.Match(CLng(CDate(LastDate.Value)), DateRange, 0)
                            Set MatchED = DateRange.Worksheet.Cells(DateRange.Row, DateRange.Columns(m).Column)

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, MatchSD.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, MatchED.Column))

Case Is > LastDate.Value    'period ends after DateRange Ends

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, MatchSD.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, LastDate.Column))

Case Is = LastDate.Value    'Period ends on last day of date range

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, MatchSD.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, LastDate.Column))

End Select

Case Is = LastDate.Value        'Period begins on last day of DateRange

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Cells(CountRange.Row, LastDate.Column)

End Select

Case Is = FirstDate.Value               'Period begins on the first day of selected DateRange

Case Is < LastDate.Value        'Period ends before last day of daterange

m = Application.Match(CLng(CDate(EndDate.Value)), DateRange, 0)
                    Set MatchED = DateRange.Worksheet.Cells(DateRange.Row, DateRange.Columns(m).Column)

Set PeriodRange = DateRange.Worksheet.Range(Cells(CountRange.Row, FirstDate.Column), Cells(CountRange.Row, MatchED.Column))

Case Is > LastDate.Value        'Period ends after last day of daterange

Case Is = LastDate.Value        'period ends on last day of daterange

End Select
    End Select

If PeriodRange Is Nothing Then

CountPeriod = 0
        Else:
        If IsMissing(CountWhat3) = True Then
            If IsMissing(CountWhat2) = True Then
                CountPeriod = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(PeriodRange, CountWhat1)
                Else:
                    CountPeriod = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(PeriodRange, CountWhat1) _
                                + Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(PeriodRange, CountWhat2)
            End If
            Else:
                CountPeriod = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(PeriodRange, CountWhat1) _
                                + Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(PeriodRange, CountWhat2) _
                                + Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(PeriodRange, CountWhat3)

End If
    End If

End Function

Also, There are approximately 900 cells per sheet with this formula and calculation is running slow. If there are any recommendations on speeding this process, that would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Have you tried adding Application.Volatile immediately after your Dim statements to force the function to recalculate whenever any part of the workbook is calculated?

Upvote 0
I'm a bit leary of using that because it's already running slower than I like. I have 10 sheets that have approx 900 iterations of this formula. As will as multiple formulas on the other sheets. I'm willing to try it, but I'm worried about it slowing everything down.

Upvote 0
So I tried the Application.Volatile, but for whatever reason, it only forced the calculation on a single column, not all 9, and not all sheets.

For speed of data entry, I'm leaning towards using this code:
Code:
Sub Worksheet_Activate()

Activeworkbook.EnableCalculation = False

End Sub

Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

ActiveWorkbook.EnableCalculation = True

Sub

Would the Application.Volatile still work with that? Does the Worksheet_Deactivate still trigger if they close the workbook with the sheet still active?

Upvote 0
So I tried the Application.Volatile, but for whatever reason, it only forced the calculation on a single column, not all 9, and not all sheets.

For speed of data entry, I'm leaning towards using this code:
Code:
Sub Worksheet_Activate()

Activeworkbook.EnableCalculation = False

End Sub

Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

ActiveWorkbook.EnableCalculation = True

Sub

Would the Application.Volatile still work with that? Does the Worksheet_Deactivate still trigger if they close the workbook with the sheet still active?
For question 1: I don't know, you have to try it and see. You can also put the body of your Worksheet_Deactivate event code in a Workbook_BeforeClose event module (in Thisworkbook) to cover closes that come with the sheet still active.

Upvote 0
Okay. I'll play with that some more. I tried to use that code (toggling calculation) earlier and still had a # value error when after leaving the sheet and coming back to it again. Any idea why I'm getting the error?

Upvote 0
Okay. I'll play with that some more. I tried to use that code (toggling calculation) earlier and still had a # value error when after leaving the sheet and coming back to it again. Any idea why I'm getting the error?
Have you tried stepping through the function using the F8 key to see where the #VALUE error occurs?

Upvote 0
Okay, So I did a little more digging around to figure out how to step through the code. (Had to add the Debug Toolbar and use those buttons). Everything worked as it was supposed to. Like I said before, the code does what it's supposed to do, but only when manually forced to calculate. And even if I manually calculate sheet 1, when I manually calculate Sheet 2, Sheet1 reverts to #Value errors again.

Upvote 0
So I've been doing some digging around and hypothesizing. I've discovered that my Test Sub wasn't producing errors because the referenced sheet was active. As soon as I tried with a different active sheet I started getting problems. The problem line is this:
Code:

I get a Method Range of Object Worksheet Failed. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back