Unable to change date format on downloaded spreadsheet

spr1nger

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I ran a report from MSDSonline to get an inventory of my locations products. The report has a date format of 1996-03-01. I want to change it to 03/01/1996, (assuming that the 03 is March). Nothing I have tried will change the date format in the column. I've ensured that the cells are not locked. I've "cleared" any formatting on the entire spreadsheet. I've tried to copy/paste values. I'm at a loss. I did a little research on Microsoft's site, and found people posting about the same situation, but could not find a resolution. Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Are the dates stored as text? Try adding zero to the whole column of dates in another column. If that works for you, paste that back into your existing column.

Upvote 0
Are the dates stored as text? Try adding zero to the whole column of dates in another column. If that works for you, paste that back into your existing column.
The dates were formatted as "General" when first opened. I'm not sure what you mean by adding a zero in another column. Do you mean put a zero in an empty column, then copy the dates & past them in the column with the zeros? If so, that did not work.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know a formula that will refer to the date in one column & populate it using a different format in another column? I don't want to have to retype a ton of dates manually.

Upvote 0
Select the columns & on the data tab select Text To Columns, Delimited, next, clear all checkboxes, next, select YMD from the date dropdown & Finish.

Upvote 0
Solution
Select the columns & on the data tab select Text To Columns, Delimited, next, clear all checkboxes, next, select YMD from the date dropdown & Finish.
That worked!!! Thanks so much (y):)

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back