Unable to create relative reference to another workbook

DGT32

I am trying to create a simple relative cell reference to a cell in another workbook which copies the content from that cell to my current worksheet. When I do, it creates an absolute cell reference, which works for that particular cell. But if I copy the formula down to the next cell, it is still pointing absolutely to the original cell in the other worksheet. If I try to remove the $ in the formula to make it a relative cell reference, Excel (2013) simply leaves the formula in the cell without calculating it. What am I doing wrong? I looked in both this forum and online in general and could not find this particular issue. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Code:
=[job1.xlsx]Sheet1!A2
If you use these conventions to construct your formula, it should work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks. I do have my formula constructed that way. =[Registration download test.xlsx]owssvr!E2 But when I hit enter, the formula itself remains visible in the cell, and not the result of the formula. (almost as if the cell were preceded by an apostrophe to make it a comment.)

Upvote 0
This behavior started on other cells that were not using references - I think it was an Excel issue - fixed by restarting.

Upvote 0
Format the cell(s) as "General", most importantly not "Text". Cells formatted as "Text" will not evaluate as formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danni317

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back