Unable to drag fill handle in Excel to automatically increment values

Sortebillen

I have been searching on the internet for hours trying to find a solution for this.
I have seen many similar posts but doing the suggested has not been able to fix my own problem yet.

I want to be able to use drag-and-drop to have Excel automatically fill the lower cells in increments.

For example I enter:

When I drag the fill handle I want to get:

What I get:

When I right-click and drag the fill handle, I registrer that "Fill series" is greyed out. This seem to be the root of the problem. See picture of this problem: https://ibb.co/tPDKCJZ
2NKrC

2NKrC

One method that seemed to solve the problem for many others, is to "remove the filtering and reapply it". In my case it looks like the filtering already is off, so it's not helping me in my case.

Additional information:
Yesterday, I was able to use the drag fill handle to automatically increment values. Today I can't, and it didn't help to reinstall Excel 2016.
What I have tried so far:
1. Select two cells and drag the fill handle.
2. Hold ctrl and drag the fill handle.
3. Went to "Excel Options", selected "Advanced" and made sure "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" was enabled.
4. Went to "Formula" tab, selected "Calculation Options" and made sure it was set to "Automatic"

The above have fixed the problem for other users but this has not yet fixed my own issue.

Any additional methods would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi,

It used to increment indeed, now what I do is press ctrl - you should get a little + that shows on your cursor - and drag from 1 (you will get 1 2 3 4 5 6, but if you do it with 1 & 2 selected, you will get 1 2 1 2 1 2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey,

It is strange, now when I select 1,2 I got 3 4 5 6, but 2 minutes agao I got 1 2 1 2 1 2 and I did nothing in Excel....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-ge...-excel-to-automatically-increment-values.html

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
Can you run this?

Code:
Sub Autofill()
  Range("E11").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "1"
    Range("E12").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "2"
    Range("E11:E12").Select
    Selection.Autofill Destination:=Range("E11:E16"), Type:=xlFillDefault
    Range("E11:E16").Select
End Sub

maybe using default autofill would set it back to default...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back