Unable to get sensible range in y-axis

Robert E Lee

Hi All

I have created a simple line chart recording diastolic systolic and pulse readings. All of these values lie in the range 60 to 140 but if i use these fixed values for the y-axis two of the data ranges disappear. Left to its own devices Excel makes the range 60 to 350 and appears to wish to add the values together which is not at all useful.

I havent used charts for about 20 years and would appreciate a bit of guidance on this

Many thanks

Rob

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi there could you post a screen shot or your situation? Seems like a simple enough problem

Upvote 0
1593077812202.png

I have now got to the point where I cannot replicate the problem I mentioned but this is the chart for which I need values in the range 60 to 150 on the y-axis without losing 2 of the ranges

Thanks

Rob

Upvote 0
Ok then from what I can tell you just need to extend your Y Axis range to ensure it includes at least the min and max values in the ranges you are plotting.

I suspect your Y axis is maybe not showing in your graph and your range isn't large enough. Take the following steps to fix this (I'm doing this in Excel 2016)

1. Click on your chart and go to Design -> Add Chart Element -> Axes -> Primary Vertical Axis. This will show the Y axis on your graph.
2. Click on the Y axis within the graph until a box surrounds it and hit Ctrl+1 to go to the Format Axis .
3. From here change your min and max bounds to ensure it covers at least the min and max values of ALL the ranges you're plotting. From your screenshot the max value is 136 so probably best to set the max to 140 or 150 so that your max value isn't at the very top of the graph.
4. You can change the major units to show in what steps the graph will be plotted i.e. if you put 10 in here it will show 0,10,20,30 etc

1593079038079.png

5. Once done you can 'x' this dialogue box and the changes will be made. You can see the changes being done as you change the values in this dialogue box so play around with the values until you get what you want.
6. Last thing I would do then would be to delete the Y-axis again as you already have your data labels showing on the graph so you don't need the axis as well.

Give that a go and see does it work for you.

Upvote 0
Hi

Thanks for your help I have tried this and all seems to be as it should be. I particularly like the idea of not showing the y-axis values as the labels speak for themselves.
Rob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back