Unable to lookup a time value

iclancy

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am having trouble looking up time values using VLOOKUP. I am attempting to use this formula to look up from the following sheet named "Master Timetable," and return the adjacent value from Column A as a result:
=(VLOOKUP(ROUND($C$6,5),'Master Timetable'!A1:B15,1))

1626889535022.png

The value C6 in the equation is a predetermined time value that matches one of the values in column B. For example, let's use "5:40 PM." My formula rounds Excel's time value to 5 decimal values (which in this case is 0.73611 in General format), since if I don't round it then the two time values end up not matching and the look up fails. The values in the above table are all rounded to 5 decimal places as well, so the value found in column B8 above also shows up as 0.73611 in General format. So, I'm expecting Excel to be able to find this number using VLOOKUP, but it does not, and returns a "N/A" message or "Value Not Available Error."

Please let me know if I have not provided enough information. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Vlookup looks up the value in the 1st column, try
Excel Formula:
=INDEX('Master Timetable'!A1:A15,MATCH(ROUND($C$6,5),'Master Timetable'!B1:B15,0))

Upvote 0
Vlookup looks in the first column of a range for a match. But afai understand the values you want to match are in the second one B trying to return the value in the first column. so this setup cannot work.
Like Fluff just posted you need index + match

Upvote 0
Thanks y'all! Looks like I should have just been using Index instead. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back