Unable to set user-editable ranges in locked and protected sheet

reannual

I have created a spreadsheet in which all the non-data-entry-cells have been locked and subsequently protected with the 'Protect Sheet' and 'Protect Workbook' buttons. So far, so good. However, I want to enable specific users to be allowed to edit a specific area without unlocking the entire spreadsheet. Which should be easy given that it appears to be an explicit excel feature.

The way I understand thisd feature is that despite the cells being locked and the sheet being protected, the users or computers named should be able to edit the designated range as if though the cells weren't locked (and protected), similar to the way you allow specific processes access to specific ports through a firewall, I guess.

So I define a range using the 'Allow Users to Edit Ranges' button and give it a memorable title. I set a password AND pick myself from the list of users AND my computer from the list of computers. I check that 'Allow to edit range without password' is set for both in 'Permissions'.

My problem is that despite doing all this, once I lock the spreadsheet, it feels just as locked to me as it would to any other user. If I click any cell in the the range, I cannot mark it. If I double-click a cell - any cell, regardless of whether it's in the range or not - I get the customary Cell is Protected message.

I would expect the cells in the range to simply be editable to me/my computer, or at the least that doubleclicking would prompt me for the 'permission to edit range' password (not to be confused with the 'unlock entire spreadsheet' password).

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back