Unable To Use Formulas Containing Functions

raldridge

Hi All,
I have just had my hard drive reformatted, and since I have been unable to enter formulas in cells with functions. Simple formulas are o.k. All I get is either the hash symbol error, or the NAME error. And if I re-enter the formula into cells that were working before the reformat, they will not work now. Does anyone know what is causing this, and how to fix this problem please. I am using Excel 97, and my operating system is WIN98SE
Regards, Robert

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
it sounds as if some files related to Excel have become corrupted. You said you just had your drive reformatted so I expect that you did a complete resinstall of the software, correct?

Upvote 0
Hi nbrcrunch
Yes you are right, I did a reinstall of Office 97 from the CD. I have attached a copy of one of my sheets to other people, and the formulas work fine on their PC, but not on mine. I just get the NAME error or the hash symbol error.
raldridge

Upvote 0
ok, so it is definitely your installation of Excel that is at fault.

Either the a registry key didn't take or one or more files didn't install correctly.

Here is how I have handled difficult situations like this before (7 years of desktop support for a major telecom traveling throughout greater Northern California from as far north as Chico all the way south to Bakersfield):

1. Use the software-provided uninstall option.
2. Defrag
3. Reboot
4. Install fresh

Upvote 0
Hi nbrcrunch,
I should have told you why the hard drive was reformatted. My PC has two hard drives. The original C drive was very iffected with viruses, so much so that it would not even bootup. So the PC technician disinfected my original C drive and renamed it the D drive. He renamed my original D drve, which was just a backup drive to C. I hope I have not confused you.
When I Installed Office 97 from the CD, it did not ask for the registry Key. So I will now try your 4 steps.
After all the files on the Office 97 CD should not be corrupt.
Thanks for your reply, I will let you know how I get on.
raldridge

Upvote 0
Unable To Formulas Containing Functions

Hi nbrcrunch,
I started carrying out your 4 steps. The defrag is very slow, it got as far as 12%, when I had to use Word. So I had to reinstall Office 97.
When I did reinstall Office 97, this time it asked for the registry key.
When I checked my Excel spreadsheet, the hash error was still there.
When uninstalling Office 97 using the CD, do I leave the CD in it's drive when the time comes to reboot?, because it says to remove all floppy disks from the drives before rebooting, does this mean CD's as well?

After re reading the invoice from the PC technician it turns out he did not reformat any drives like he said he would. This is what he wrote on the invoice

Diagnose system reporting errors, and locking up removed virus and spyware.
Diagnosed corrupt system files.
Reconfigured hard drives.
D drive is your old windows drive, and has all your data.
Installed Windows 98 drivers and software.
Restored data.

As I did not finish defragging the C drive, do you still think if I do, it will fix the problem?.
raldridge

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back