Understanding Array-Entered Formulas

JackDanIce

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

First time I've used array-entered formulas and struggling to work out what's wrong with this formula:

{=SUM(IF(LEFT(A1:A6,2)="sd",VALUE(RIGHT(A1:A6,LEN(A1:A6)-2)),IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(A1:A6)),A1:A6,"")))}

To explain, I have a list of values in fixed range A1:A6. These values are either numerical or alphanumeric. If they're alphanumerica, they will begin with "SD" or some other characters, but each cell value will always end in numerical characters

I want to add all these values up in a single cell (C1). I could use the B column to do the above on each single cell (e.g. A1 then copy down to A6) and use sum(B1:B6) but I'm trying to learn how to use array-enetered formulae and not do this!

Any help please?
Thanks,

Jack

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Example of A1:A6 data is:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 74pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=99 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 74pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3620" width=99><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 74pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=99 height=17>SD1.4568</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl65 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right height=17>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>SD2.456</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>sd2.457</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>sd2.458</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>ABC6.98</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Upvote 0
Thank you Tusharm,

That's helped me understand that my formula is only checking the conditions for each formula against cell A1 (e.g. a single cell), but I don't know how to adapt the formula so that it tests for every cell in the range A1:A6

Upvote 0
Ok, that's really annoying as I've just been googling and trying to find more info on this!!

I'm typing the formula as below without the curly brackets and then pressing CRTL+SHIFT+ENTER and it's not working! Spreadsheet is set to autocalculate and I'm hitting F9 anyway, grrrr annoying!

Will percievere (however you spell that word)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back