"Unexpected error" on Load from network folder

dotsent

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi!

I'm trying to build a reporting tool via Power Query that combines data from multiple .xlsm files in a folder. Excel "Get Data -> From File -> From Folder" looks to do just that. After getting familiar with the concept on my local drive I tried to load the same files from a network drive as this is how it's supposed to work. That change gives me an error message "Unexpected Error. Something went wrong. If the problem continues, please restart Excel":

excel_error.jpg

Restarting Excel and PC doesn't help. No difference with a different PC either (with the same software setup though), nor does it matter if there's a single or several files in a folder (only empty folder would load up OK - but obviously with a blank page). Running Windows 10 v1903 + Office365 v2001. I do have full rights to the network folder and no restrictions when working with individual files. As well as when just launching "Get Data -> From File -> From Workbook" I can access the contents of a single file just fine even on a network folder.

Long error message to be found under "Copy details" button, containing prominently:

Stack Trace: Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

Shouldn't make a difference here, but also made sure this location is added in Excel Trust Center as Trusted Location.

Any ideas on what to tinker with? Didn't come across any good Excel-specific leads when googling around. Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
As noted, I'm running Office365 ProPlus package, so it should be up to date. Even XLOOKUP formula came available recently.
Excel (2016) is showing Version 2001 Build 12430

Upvote 0
You didn't say that
and how do I know that if you doesn't have Excel version in your profile?

but maybe it will help a little
Ignore about SQL

Upvote 0
It's not certain yet, but posting this in case someone found this thread and is also looking for answers. The problem is most likely in a firewall setting that scans for activity on network drives and blocks this function (it could be mistaken for an executable file).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back