Unfriendly edit post timeout

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I don't have a problem with setting a time limit for when a post can be edited. I might quibble that 10 minutes is way too short, but that's a detail. What I do find very unfriendly is what just happened to me. I started editing a post. Before I could finish, I needed to go look up something. When I returned and started typing, the board discarded everything I had typed without warning and told me the time limit had been exceeded. I started the edit well before the time limit and had spent several minutes constructing the edits. In my opinion, the time limit should apply to when the editing process is started, not completed. And if there is a time limit for completing the edit, there should be a warning and the text should be saved somewhere.

Just my two bits.

Heya Jennifer,

We can look into it, but board mods aren't all that easy to make, especially since this is a free site.

A workaround (that I forget all the time) is to put your response in Word/Notepad, then paste it in your post.

Heya Jennifer,

We can look into it, but board mods aren't all that easy to make, especially since this is a free site.

A workaround (that I forget all the time) is to put your response in Word/Notepad, then paste it in your post.

Yeah, I know. The board software is probably open source, so you'd first have to get the development community to agree that the change is needed and high enough on the priority list to actually get done.

The irony, in my view, is that they already have code to auto save my work. So the hard part is done.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back