Unidentifiable Non Printing Character

neb255

Board Regular
Hi, I have a spreadsheet which has data imported from a very old excel format (excel 2.0). There are cells in this file which appear blank however excel 2017 does not perceive them as such.

The really odd thing here is that if i use F2 to edit the cell and then hit enter or Tab to move off of it, the cell is suddenly recognized as blank. I also get a similar result using Find/Replace and Special Cells Blank. If i use CTRL+G and then try Blank cells none are found, however if i use Find/Replace and do not enter anything into the Find box it recognizes all of the cells as empty and i can replace them without a problem. I tried to use CLEAN however after pasting the values of the clean it is still not an actual blank cell. One other test i just tried as i was typing this is =B2="" and it returned TRUE, which is even more confusing to me since I would think that this would indicate that the cell is actually blank.

I copied a row 6 of the text into Notepat++ and then pasted it into this utility to find out what the actual characters were https://software.hixie.ch/utilities/cgi/unicode-decoder/character-identifier and the result i got is:
Character number 4 is decimal 9, hex 0x09, octal \011, binary 00001001
U+0009 <control>
= CHARACTER TABULATION
= horizontal tabulation (HT), tab

Ultimately i need to be able to recognize these cells in a formula which is checking for blank cells. Since this is being done in VBA i am also fine stripping the data from these cells if i could just figure out what the contents actually are. Any help is greatly appreciated here.

it does not look like i have permission to attach the file here so i posted it here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VC3EGypXemra_uKd5JsaKm02ICio2j61 however here are the tests that i ran in the file itself (on the last test the formulas are below rather than next to)

IDBlank CellTestFormula for Test
ME-QFALSEISBLANK(B2)
ME-QTRUEB3=""
ME-Q#VALUE!CODE(B4)
ME-QTRUECLEAN(B5)=B5
OETRUEistext(B6)
ME-QTRUEISBLANK(B7) after double cliking the cell
ME-Qx120CODE(B8) after using Ctrl+h and putting nothing for search value and x for replace value
ME-QFALSE
Clean(B9)Paste Values from C9isblank(D9)

<tbody>
</tbody>

</control>

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I also tried converting to a CSV UTF-8 file and it just shows two commas in a row as though the cell were actually blank.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GBCTeacher

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back