Unique combinations for surprise doubles tournament

RayL

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi all,
I'm running a small dart tournament for the local club soon and I've prepared a little excel sheet (with hard codes) to handle the scheduling and results. While this works fine, I was wondering if it would be possible to have some formulas/vba code to make the whole thing a little easier (and more exciting :) ).Basically the conditions are as follows:
I have a list of participants (probably from 40 to 60 in total) that I list in a single column and allocate a player number.
From that list I randomly draw groups of 4 people to play a doubles match e.g Sam + Mary vs John + Sue, and each match is best of 3 legs.
Once everyone has played their matches in that round (some people may have a bye, depending on the number), I create a second round, and then a 3rd, 4th and even 5th if we have enough time.
Now here's the tricky part - no player should play WITH or AGAINST another play twice; e.g Sam should neither play with nor against Mary, John or Sue again (for as long as possible)
Currently, I simply split the players into 16 groups and have them play each other as listed in the table below, and this works fine up to 5 rounds, but it does have its limitations.

Is there an easier/more automatic way to create the unique doubles pairs to fulfil the criteria above, with formulas or code? I do have some VBA experience, but I have no idea how I would tackle this. :)

Looking forward to your responses.

1587029048245.png

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

What you want is a variation of the Social Golfer problem. You can check out Google or Wikipedia for more information. What it boils down to is that it's a pretty tough problem. There's no easy way to get what you want. You can search this forum for "social golfer". I've written some large posts on the subject. It really can't be done with basic spreadsheet formulas/tools, you'd need to write a program to do so, which would take a lot of time and effort for someone. About the best I can offer at the moment is this website:

If you set it up for foursomes, with your starting number of people, you might be able to adapt the results to your situation.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

What you want is a variation of the Social Golfer problem. You can check out Google or Wikipedia for more information. What it boils down to is that it's a pretty tough problem. There's no easy way to get what you want. You can search this forum for "social golfer". I've written some large posts on the subject. It really can't be done with basic spreadsheet formulas/tools, you'd need to write a program to do so, which would take a lot of time and effort for someone. About the best I can offer at the moment is this website:

If you set it up for foursomes, with your starting number of people, you might be able to adapt the results to your situation.

Good luck!
Thanks Eric, I'll check it our :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back