Unique Formula for visible cells only

Chewyhairball

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I am using the unique formula to extract a list of unique values from a table and I have to say I am a big fan of this formula having just discovered it.

=UNIQUE(Table5[[#Data],[Building]])

Is there a way to use this formula ( or similar) to extract a unique list from visible rows only?

When I have other filters applied it would be good to be able to extract only the visible rows to create the unique list. I use this column to create a drop down list so I guess what my goal is is to
create a dynamic dropdown list.

I am not looking for VBA for this rather trying to find out if there is a way to do it with a formula.

thanks

Rory

Rory

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I would say use a helper column with a subtotal formula for the row, for example
Excel Formula:
=SUBTOTAL(2,[@Data])
Then change the unique formula to
Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Table5[[#Data],[Building]],Table5[Helper]=1,""))
Think that is right, but without setting up a table to test the syntax, there could be any number of errors :oops:

Upvote 0
Solution
Whilst I'd go with the helper column that Jason has suggested, another option would be
Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Table5[Building],SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(Table5[[#Headers],[Building]],ROW(Table5[Building])-ROW(Table5[[#Headers],[Building]]),0))))
although this is volatile, which could have an adverse affect on the performance of your workbook.

Upvote 0
Hi, I went with the helper table and it is perfect for what i need. Thank you both for the replies :)

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Whilst I'd go with the helper column that Jason has suggested, another option would be
Excel Formula:
=UNIQUE(FILTER(Table5[Building],SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(Table5[[#Headers],[Building]],ROW(Table5[Building])-ROW(Table5[[#Headers],[Building]]),0))))
although this is volatile, which could have an adverse affect on the performance of your workbook.
I tried this version on my Power Query output table that I had linked to a histogram and a slicer and it worked perfectly. Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back