=unique formula giving duplicates

Bob_ipc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey all!!

I have a unique problem... pardon the pun haha.

I have a really simple equation =IFERROR(UNIQUE('Lims Report'!D7:D5000,FALSE,FALSE),"")
This formula has always worked for a simple list with no duplicates, and now I have a list using this formula that has given me a duplicate :(
Has anyone ever run into this before???

Thanks

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Are you sure that they are real duplicates? Is there a hidden space in one of them?

Upvote 0
One way to check Eric's idea would be to use a formula like this in an adjacent column. In my example, you can see that the two values that appear to both be "abc" are different length (the second one has a space at the end)

20 12 29.xlsm
ABCD
1abcabc3
2defdef3
3abc abc 4
4ghighi3
5def
Check Unique
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C4C1=UNIQUE(A1:A5,FALSE,FALSE)
D1:D4D1=LEN(C1#)
Dynamic array formulas.

BTW, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Hey guys thanks for the speedy reply, The data set comes from an automated report, I just looked over the data and it all looks to be the same on the report but it shows up twice on the summary I am trying to build.

And when double checking using your suggestion Peter, the number with the duplicate values both had the same number of text.

Upvote 0
the number with the duplicate values both had the same number of text.
OK, but is that number the number of characters that you can visually detect in the two cells?

It sounds like you might have some characters that have zero physical length embedded into some of the text.
Here it appears that I have 3 unique values in col R but the UNIQUE function is reporting 5. In column S both "For" and "example" are reporting the same lengths for both of those cells but the length is actually one more than the actual letters in those words. On the other hand "sample" is showing the correct number of letters in the word. BTW, none of the words in col R have spaces before or after.
Could this be the case with your data?

20 12 29.xlsm
RST
1ForFor4
2ForFor4
3exampleexample8
4samplesample6
5exampleexample8
6sample
Check Unique
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
S1:S5S1=UNIQUE(R1:R6,0,0)
T1:T5T1=LEN(S1#)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Hey guys! I found the problem!! so turns out the list of values had a few entries that had been formatted as text, after changing the format to them all being the same then everything worked as it should!!

Thanks guys

Upvote 0
Solution
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back