unique list from list of duplicates

darmis

I have a worksheet containing incoming and outgoing payments, over a reasonable time period. Each item contains a date, a store name, and the amount.
I want to create a summary worksheet, where first column is "store name", for example. At present I create the list of stores manually and do the conditional lookups, sums, averages, etc.. based on this first column. However, I can never be sure if I've missed anything, and the list of stores changes from time to time.

How do I get a list of unique store names from this list of duplicated store names? In short, how do I create the first column?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
One solution might be creating a Pivot table from your data, put stores in rows and something else in the center of the table. In the first column of the pivot table you have the list you are looking for.
Ciao

Upvote 0
Welcome!

Also you could use advanced filter to filter for unique records only

or, if list is not too big, you could use a formula:
Book1
ABCD
2aa
3ss
4ad
5aff
6sg
7dh
8ffj
9gk
10h
11j
Sheet7

Upvote 0
As gino suggested this sounds like a good candidate for a pivot table with the store name as a row field and the averages/sums as data fields.

Upvote 0
darmis said:
I have a worksheet containing incoming and outgoing payments, over a reasonable time period. Each item contains a date, a store name, and the amount.
I want to create a summary worksheet, where first column is "store name", for example. At present I create the list of stores manually and do the conditional lookups, sums, averages, etc.. based on this first column. However, I can never be sure if I've missed anything, and the list of stores changes from time to time.

How do I get a list of unique store names from this list of duplicated store names? In short, how do I create the first column?

Thanks!

If you stay working with formulas, the formula system for creating a unique list of stores would be efficient enough with a large range of stores...
Book1
ABCDEFGH
2StoreQtyAmtCountStoreListTotalQtyTotalAmt
3StoreA21621StoreA44202
4StoreB9322StoreB3058
5StoreA10100 StoreC1366
6StoreC13663StoreD1782
7StoreB2126    
8StoreA1340 
9StoreD17824
Sheet1

Formulas for the distinct/unique list of stores...

D1 must house a 0.

D3, copied down:

=IF((A3<>"")*ISNA(MATCH(A3,$A$2:A2,0)),LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,$D$1:D2)+1,"")

F1:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,D3:D9)

which is also the number of distinct stores.

F3, copied down:

=IF(ROW()-ROW(F$3)+1<=$F$1,INDEX($A$3:$A$9,MATCH(ROW()-ROW(F$3)+1,$D$3:$D$9)),"")

If you're on Excel 2003, all this can be done with Lists, lifting up the necessity of copying down the formulas with every new record to the source data.

Upvote 0
I've tried the suggestions from Aladin Akyurek, splitting the formulae over two sheets - and have a unique list of stores. I have added just one column to the original sheet, so I can add the 'id' against which the references are made. Now I just need to do the statistical stuff.

Excellent - thanks!

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post, but for some reason, I am unable to extract the formulas from the example that Aladin placed here two posts ago. Can anyone click on these?
I would like to see the contents of cells G3 and H3, if anyone is willing to assist. Fortunately, the other formulas were posted in the body of the post - and worked perfectly for what I am attempting to do. I'm mostly sure that these other two columns will be just the thing, too.

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post, but for some reason, I am unable to extract the formulas from the example that Aladin placed here two posts ago. Can anyone click on these?
I would like to see the contents of cells G3 and H3, if anyone is willing to assist. Fortunately, the other formulas were posted in the body of the post - and worked perfectly for what I am attempting to do. I'm mostly sure that these other two columns will be just the thing, too.

Thank you in advance!

Chris
I can't get that thing to work but it looks like the formulas in columns G and H are SUMIFs.

G3 and copied down:

=SUMIF(A$3:A$9,F3,B$3:B$9)

H3 and copied down:

=SUMIF(A$3:A$9,F3,C$3:C$9)

Upvote 0
That worked like a charm. I thank you again.

lol I especially like you referring to it as "that thing". Is it typically problematic?

Upvote 0

Thank you in advance!

Chris

G3, just enter and copy down:

=SUMIF($A$3:$A$9,F2,$B$3:$B$9)

H3, just enter and copy down:

=SUMIF($A$3:$A$9,F2,$C$3:$C$9)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back