Unique search

Stumpped

Office Version
  1. 2019
I have some imported data that I’d like to search for a partial string within a sentence.
fields that are imported populate cells A1 through A250.
as the data is imported as a colum and not an array, sometimes cell A13 in one import does not match another pasted import.
i‘m looking for a way to search the cell column for “g1.“ In a Cell that contains “g1. Contractor name“.
so if i search for this in a cell and it’s located in cell A13 in one import and cell 15 in another that fits the criteria for the text containing “g1.”
‘now here’s where my issue occurs. I find the cell containing “g1.“ and is cell A11, I need the data in cell A12. Can this be done in one formula in a single cell?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
You could try something like

=INDEX(A2:A251,MATCH("*g1*",A1:A250,0))

Note that the index range is offset from the match range by 1 row.

Upvote 0
Solution
OMG, freaking genius, thank you so much. I am eternally grateful for your help. This formula worked perfectly! That saves me so much in the way of needed code, reducing the size of my spreadsheet by a tremendous amount! Did I say thank you?

Upvote 0
I am still a NOOB with excel. I know enough to get by but not enough to be anywhere near dangerous.
I have a couple of follow-up questions. I have fields I need to find from multiple options based on the same formula above.
So in the import I have, some of the imports have data that either says "[_] YES [x] NO" OR "[x] YES [_] NO" when I search for "1J. " With the formula you provided, I know how to get the data for this, but is there something I could add to the formula above to indicate either just YES or NO instead of "[_] YES [x] NO" OR "[x] YES [_] NO"?

The second question is similar but has a different configuration. Rather than having a checked yes or checked no, I would have to search for the next 4 rows.
As with the formula you provided, I would be able to return the field below "2A. Assignment type" which are

Cell A28 "2A. Assignment type"
Cell A29 [_] Field
Cell A30 [_] Lake
Cell A31 [X] Mountian
Cell A32 [_] Stream

With the formula provided above that works with many of the other fields, it is a bit different for this example where I want to select "Mountain" as its box is checked where field, lake, and stream are not.

Upvote 0
To remove the [X] / [_] part, you could simply omit the first part of the result. As it appears to be consistently the first thing in each cell, the easiest way would be
Excel Formula:
=REPLACE(INDEX(A2:A251,MATCH("*g1*",A1:A250,0)),1,4,"")
For the second part, if you're looking to return only the cell marked with [X] below the searched field then you could try
Excel Formula:
=REPLACE(INDEX($A$1:$A$250,MATCH("[X]",INDEX($A$1:$A$250,MATCH("*g1*",$A$1:$A$250,0)+1):INDEX($A$1:$A$250,MATCH("*g1*",$A$1:$A$250,0)+10),0)+MATCH("*g1*",$A$1:$A$250,0)),1,4,"")
If you have Excel 2021 or Office 365 then you could make use of LET to shorten it significantly.
Excel Formula:
=LET(m,MATCH("*g1*",$A$1:$A$250,0),r,$A$1:$A$250,REPLACE(INDEX(r,MATCH("[X]",INDEX(r,m+1):INDEX(r,m+10),0)+m),1,4,""))
I haven't tested either of these in Excel, hopefully I haven't made any errors in the syntax.

Upvote 0
Got busy with work and had no time to work on my project. Slow again and I have another question.
I've tried several different variations of a formula to extract data from the cell below the one with the found text. In this case, there are 2 lines below the found text that have data. I'm trying to modify the search I had above that worked. Hmmmm, I answered my own question, cool. I must admit I am a little impressed by myself.

here's my updated formula that works

=IF(INDEX(A573:A801,MATCH("*1J*",A572:A800,0))="[x] SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENCE [_] MANUFACTURED HOME", "Single Family", IF(INDEX(A573:A801,MATCH("*1J*",A572:A800,0))="[_] SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENCE [x] MANUFACTURED HOME", "Manufactured", IF(INDEX(A574:A802,MATCH("*1J*",A572:A800,0))="[x] CONDO [_] MULTI-FAMILY RESIDENCE", "Condo", IF(INDEX(A574:A802,MATCH("*1J*",A572:A800,0))="[_] CONDO [x] MULTI-FAMILY RESIDENCE", "Multi-Family", ""))))

Upvote 0
Ok, Run into a problem with the formula above. Turns out that there may be spaces in the text I am searching for, so instead of [x], it could be populated with [ x ] instead. Is there a way to substitute the "[x] SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENCE [_] MANUFACTURED HOME" I've tried many formulas and still have not yet quite figured it out. My last formula that has no errors in it is:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("x",INDEX(A573:A801,MATCH("2B",A572:A800,0)))), "Renovation", IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("x",INDEX(A574:A802,MATCH("2B",A572:A800,0)))), "Construction", IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("x",INDEX(A575:A803,MATCH("2B",A572:A800,0)))), "Energy Efficiency", IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("x",INDEX(A576:A804,MATCH("2B",A572:A800,0)))), "Other", ""))))

I'm going to have to back track and fix the formula in the post above too because I'm sure it's going to have similar issues with the [x] versus [ x ] in the field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back