Uniquely find the maximum number in a range with VBA

kelly mort

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
My data starts from B5 and contains codes or ids like:
And so on.

So when I select a number in combobox1, say 1, I want to find the maximum number for the range of numbers having the first digit (from left) which matches the selection made in the combobox1.

Which in this case, will be 103.

Can someone help me out with it, using a MsgBox alert?

Thanks so much in advance.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
How many values to look at? An array would likely be faster and less prone to hanging up your pc (not my forte in Excel) but depending on your version, there might be too many values for an array. Looping over the column would be another way, but from what I've read, this means going back and forth between the code and your sheet. Some say that's bad & I've never looked for evidence that this actually happens so I don't know.

If a formula like this was in a sheet column it might be quicker if not using an array as you could loop over that column and ignore everything that is zero.
=IF(VALUE(LEFT(E:E,1))=7,E:E,0) where EE contains the value you want to return and 7 is the combo value.
Sorry, no concrete idea at this point how you'd replace 7 with the combo value. Perhaps the combo updates a cell with the chosen value, so you use that cell reference instead?

Upvote 0
Not more than 100 rows, for now.

This is how Iwas able to get it working my way:

Code:
For Each rC In rTab
     If indx = Left (rC, 1) Then 
         nMax = rC.Value
     End If 
Next rC

Since I am sorting in descending order, the last value in the nMax becomes the Maximum number in the range. And it works.

Upvote 0
Left might return a string, and if that coerces your value to text, 11 will come before 2, for example.

Upvote 0
Not more than 100 rows, for now.

This is how Iwas able to get it working my way:

Code:
For Each rC In rTab
     If indx = Left (rC, 1) Then
         nMax = rC.Value
     End If
Next rC

Since I am sorting in descending order, the last value in the nMax becomes the Maximum number in the range. And it works.
I actually meant ascending order here. Instead of descending order.

Upvote 0
Oh okay. Then can you show me the array approach?
I'd have to research it - it was brought to my attention 1 or 2 days ago here, but with 100 or so rows, I'd lean towards not using an array because that's what I'm more comfortable with. You might find it by doing an advanced search on my posts within the last 2 or 3 days, ignoring anything in Access threads. Sorry, I can't recall who posted the info about arrays.

You have a working method so maybe just watch your results for now? For only 100 or so rows I don't think I'd worry about array vs loop.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back