Unknown number of dynamic arrays - how to?

Dr. Demento

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I've put together a sub that formats the page setup aspect of my sheets. However, there are instances where it falls apart, such as when a table (long & narrow) and a pivot table (or three) (short & wide) occupy the same sheet; in this case I wind up with ridiculously small print (all columns on single page)

Thanks to Ejaz (UsedAreas), I'm able to divide each area up, thus making a separate print area for each entity on the worksheet. However, when the sub is done executing, only the last area evaluated has a valid/visible print area.

VonPookie has a nice solution to storing each print area in an array (here) but my issue is that I won't always know how many print areas I'm going to need (I could have a single table/range on a worksheet or 5 tables on the same sheet). I'd like the sub to automatically tally the number of used areas (qty: x; derived from Ejaz's function), create x number of dynamic arrays, and fill each array with a separate print area. Is this possible??

I'm not wanting to print each area each time I run the sub, but I don't know if Excel has any native ability to store in a workbook with multiple print areas (ie, I run the sub, save the workbook, come back later and the print areas are preserved without having to re-run the sub). Feedback/place to start would be welcome.

My work so far; but I'm stumped as to how to introduce a variable number of dynamic arrays:
Code:
  Set UsedAreasRange = rng_UsedAreas(rngUsed)
      For Each EachArea In UsedAreasRange.Areas
        With obj.PageSetup
          .PrintArea = EachArea.address   ' Define Print Area to actual UsedArea || http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/298884-visual-basic-applications-limit-printed-area.html

' ~~ If sht less than 75 rows & 26 columns, then print to single page; else fit wide only
          If EachArea.Rows.Count <= 75 And EachArea.Columns.Count <= 26 Then
            .FitToPagesWide = 1
            .FitToPagesTall = 1
          Else
            .FitToPagesWide = 1
            .FitToPagesTall = False
          End If

' ~~ Automatically set .Orientation based on height/width ratio
          If (EachArea.Width / EachArea.Height) > 0.85 Then
            .Orientation = xlLandscape
          Else
            .Orientation = xlPortrait
          End If
        End With
      Next EachArea

I know Hui put together his awesome tool, but I'm looking for something a little more simple (if possible).

Thanks y'all.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Thoughts anyone? My only thought would be to run the UsedAreas twice -- once to count the number of areas on a sheet; and a second time to actually find the ranges for each UsedArea. Also, since I don't always want to print immediately, storing the ranges on Hui's sheet is probably my best bet, barring anyone's secret knowledge of Excel's ability to store multiple print areas native.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back