Unprotect then protect to run VBA code

BobH

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have 2 worksheets in the same workbook that are protected with the same password. The Sheet "SEARCH" allows me to select information and post it to the sheet named "PRICE SHEET" When I run the command button the codes wont work when protected. The coding below seems to work when only the "PRICE SHEET" is not protected .

The sheet "SEARCH" allows me to enter "select" in Column D then selects a code in Column A and transfers that to the next available row on "PRICE SHEET" Column "B" starting at cell "B9". I have tried lots of combinations of coding but no joy, I have managed to work out codes on other worksheets but this has got me stumped. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards Rob

VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
Dim i, LastRow
LastRow = Sheets("SEARCH").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Sheets("PRICE SHEET").Range("B9:B300").ClearContents

For i = 2 To LastRow

If Sheets("SEARCH").Cells(i, "d").Value = "select" Then

Sheets("SEARCH").Cells(i, "a").Cells.Copy Destination:=Sheets("PRICE SHEET").Range("b" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)

Worksheets("PRICE SHEET").Activate
End If

Next i

End Sub

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Not tested but....
VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()
Dim i, LastRow

On Error GoTo err_hndlr
LastRow = Sheets("SEARCH").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

With Sheets("PRICE SHEET")
        .Unprotect "pword"
        .Range("B9:B300").ClearContents
        Sheets("SEARCH").Unprotect "pword"
        For i = 2 To LastRow

If Sheets("SEARCH").Cells(i, "d").Value = "select" Then

Sheets("SEARCH").Cells(i, "a").Cells.Copy Destination:=.Range("b" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1)

.Activate
        End If

Next i

End With
err_hndlr: Sheets("SEARCH").Protect "pword": Sheets("PRICE SHEET").Protect "pword"
End Sub
My suggestion is to just unprotect both sheets, then re-protect them at the end.
Replace pword, with your actual password for the sheets.
NB untested (not much time) so test on a COPY of your WB first.

The other consideration is that this allows anyone who knows how to access the VBA module, to see your hard-coded password.
No Excel stuff is very secure, to be honest, but in order to put the more nosey users off a little more, protect your VBA module, too - by going into it's properties, and setting a password - which is then reqd to even vies it.

Upvote 0
Works perfect thank you so much for your help on this I will definitely password up the module. The unprotecting and protecting of the password makes the process a bit clunky but I can live with that. Thanks again

Upvote 0
I have found one issue is that the Column B9:B300 on "PRICE SHEET",the column to which the date is transferred needs to be free to edit also and it becomes protected once I apply the command, is their a way round this when protecting the "PRICE SHEET" Regards Rob

Upvote 0
Pleasure, and thanks for the feedback.

Your first reply: in what way is it "Chunky?" The code unprotects & re-protects, which should happen in the background; you shouldn't see anything (or have to take any action).

Your second reply: You can lock & unlock all, or only desired ranges. Ranges which are locked, will not allow editing, once sheet protection's applied.
However, ranges which remain unlocked, allow editing - even when sheet protection's applied, and this sounds like what you're after in your col B.

So - unlock B9:B300 on "PRICE SHEET" but lock all of the other cells, and you should be fine.

For a good look at locking/unlocking/protecting, see this Microsoft article.

Upvote 0
Hi Thanks should have said "Clunky" but not important.
Its hard to explain but when i hit the command button it transfers the required information and I can edit the "B" Column on the Price Sheet, When I alter the selection on the "SEARCH" sheet and hit the command button some of the cells in column B on the Price sheet then become locked for editing. It may be easier to send you a reduced copy of the spreadsheet if you have the time to look at this for me. kind regards Rob

Upvote 0
Pleasure, and thanks for the feedback.

Your first reply: in what way is it "Chunky?" The code unprotects & re-protects, which should happen in the background; you shouldn't see anything (or have to take any action).

Your second reply: You can lock & unlock all, or only desired ranges. Ranges which are locked, will not allow editing, once sheet protection's applied.
However, ranges which remain unlocked, allow editing - even when sheet protection's applied, and this sounds like what you're after in your col B.

So - unlock B9:B300 on "PRICE SHEET" but lock all of the other cells, and you should be fine.

For a good look at locking/unlocking/protecting, see this Microsoft article.

Hi I have managed to sort out the issue thank you for your help
Regards Rob

Upvote 0
Jolly good. Thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back