Unsure how to calculate a formula with minus figures

JrvsLa

Hi all,

I'm very new to excel and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to get a formula to calculate something for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 columns of data:

Column 1 is Supremacy (team 1 v team 2) and column 2 is total points in the match. I then have 2 additional columns (team 1 expected points and team 2 expected points) in which I want to calculate a total for each team based on the total points value and the supremacy.

E.g. The supremacy is +1.55 and the Total is 2.55. The correct values for team 1 expected points would be calculated as 2.05 and for team 2 0.5 (the plus supremacy means team 1 is expected to score 1.55 points more than team 2, so 2.55-1.55=1 point left over which is then shared equally to 0.5 1.55+0.5 for team 1 and the remaining 0.5 for team 2). The problem I have is the supremacy value can also be a minus figure and this is when team 2 is expected to be the better team. E.g. the supremacy is -0.55 and the total is 2.15. I need excel to know this and then calculate accordingly. So in this example team 1 expected points should calculate as 0.8 and team 2 as 1.35.

Can anyone please help me with a formula that will calculate the 2 expected points column correctly?

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Try this setup:

Capture1.jpg

Upvote 0
tetra, I think you forgot to add your "setup"?
I did not. Just in case the image is not displayed:

Cell A1 --> 1.55 Cell B1 --> 2.55 Cell C1 --> =(B1+A1)/2 Cell D1 --> =(B1-A1)/2
Cell A2 --> -0.55 Cell B2 --> 2.15 Cell C2 --> =(B2+A2)/2 Cell D2 --> =(B2-A2)/2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back