Unusual non english characters in vba

lotsbg

Board Regular
I need to type the following word in VBA; Příbram, which obviously uses a couple of wierd characters. When I copy and paste the word into VBA I end up with P?íbram.

Obviously VBA doesn't recognise the ř symbol. I have tens of other words like this. Is there anyway for VBA to recognise these symbols somehow?

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hi,

Excel usually recognizes only ASCII codes from 0 to 255. Characters such as ř exceed the ASCII code 255 and so you cannot use these like you would normally do. (If you type ř in A1, and use =CODE(A1), you will get 63 which is the ASCII code for ?)

To use this in VBA you will need to use ChrW() function. Go to the character map via Start | Accessories | System Tools | Character Map.

You will need to search for the Hex code of the characters (it is 0159 for ř). Then you will need to convert the Hex number to decimal number and use that in ChrW. The decimal equivalent for Hex 0159 is 345.

So, if you use

Range("A1").Value = ChrW(345) you will get ř in A1.

So you need to use "P" & ChrW(345) & "íbram" etc....

Edit: I guess an easier way to get the decimal codes would be to use a simple UDF...<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> ASCIICode(Character<SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN><SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>)<SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>    ASCIICode = AscW(Character)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN></FONT>
Excel Workbook
ABC
1C63268
2r63345
3O63334
4N63327
5a63259
6?63330
7Z63377
8O63465
9?63912
10?63510
Sheet1
Excel 2003
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=CODE(A1)
C1=ASCIICode(A1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes nicely explained, you can also get the Char code from Excel itself> Go to Insert Menu>Symbol>Change the value of from drop down list(right bottom) to "Unicode (Hex)" it will show you code in the box just right to it..

Upvote 0
Sandeep already explained well how to use the Unicode characters. Just a small remark: you don't have to convert hex->decimal, you can use directly a hex number in vba preceeding it with "&H".

Ex., you find ř in the map as 159 hex, you can use:

Range("A1").Value = "P" & ChrW(&H159) & "íbram"

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info Pedro. I wish I had known this a couple of years back when I wrote a code to replace such characters with regular Latin characters ... Spent a lot of time converting from Hex to Dec :biggrin:

Upvote 0
My question is:

I see ? in a string. I know its the character ø (Nordic character)

I would like to translate the ø character to english o - using

Code:
newstr = replace(oldstr,"[COLOR="red"][SIZE="4"]ø[/SIZE][/COLOR]","[COLOR="red"][SIZE="4"]o[/SIZE][/COLOR]")

How can I achieve this ?

The VBA msgbox and debug.print show always ? but the real value is in the string variable because when I display the string in a userform textbox I see the real character ø

Plase advice

thank you !!!

Upvote 0
This looks much like the Greek ø, for which the ASCII code is 248

If it is not Phi, then use the function posted by me earlier in the thread to get the ASCII code for the character.

You can then use that to replace it.

Replace(oldstr,ChrW(.....),o)

.... is the ASCII code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benefuexx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back