Unwanted Message - Can't Find the Source

FracinDean

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
MrExcel Community,

I have a macro-enabled workbook with several event procedures. When my workbook re-calculates, I'm getting a message dialogue that has a single word, "Calculated". When I search my entire project for the word "Calculated" I can only find that in one comment. I checked for all MSGBOX statements to see if it could be coming from one of my user function procedure calls, but found nothing there. The title of the message dialogue just says "Microsoft Excel". Any ideas how to find the source of this message or to suppress it?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
One thought .. if your macro code has the line "On Error Resume Next" ... or if it has a call to an error handler .... disable those. Then run the code and see
if it errors out on a line of code that becomes highlighted in yellow.

Upvote 0
One thought .. if your macro code has the line "On Error Resume Next" ... or if it has a call to an error handler .... disable those. Then run the code and see
if it errors out on a line of code that becomes highlighted in yellow.

Thank you for the suggestion Logit. I commented out all my "On Error …" statements including some "Resume Next" and some "GoTo …" but no error occurred and I still got the "Calculated" message.

Upvote 0
Have you tried stepping through the Calculate event using F8 to see where it pops up?

Upvote 0
No Fluff, but it sounds like a very useful suggestion. I just did some searching in a few help resources, this forum, and on-line, but didn't see any clear instructions on how to use F8 to do that. I went to my worksheet_change event code and tried repeatedly clicking the f8 key but didn't get any response. How do I step through the Calculate event?

Upvote 0
If it's a Change event (or any code that contains that contains something in the () after the sub name) then you cannot use F8 directly.
Put the word Stop as the very first line of code in the event & then when the event triggers it will stop at that line & you can then use F8 to step through the rest of the code.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you Fluff. This tip enabled me to isolate the issue to some "ActiveSheet.Calculate" statements. I have used these many times in the past for other projects and they did not trigger a "Calculated" message box. I have been looking through excel documentation for the calculate method and the Excel options, but so far I have not found anything that sounded related to this.

Upvote 0
Can you upload a copy of your workbook (you can clear the contents [clear not delete] any sensitive info as I am only interested in the code/validation) to either www.box.com or www.dropbox.com, mark it for sharing and paste the link it provides in the thread so we can look at it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the offer but I can't do that. The method and what I'm doing are sensitive, not the data. It would be a lot of work to disguise all the content.

Upvote 0
I would search project-wide for MsgBox and set a breakpoint on every one that isn't sending a literal string.

Also: got any add-ins?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back