Unwanted Multiple Excel Sessions

DeltaBlue

Board Regular
How, upon opening a file, do I keep Excel from opening another session of Excel?

I E Mail from our main site to myself via file attachment, a number of Utility Query Files that arrive with a file extension .tb7

Recently my hard drive was reformatted, and now whenever I open any of these files, another Excel session is opened with each opened file (i.e. - open 4 files and I've started 4 new Excel sessions).

Prior to my hard drive reformatting, the (.tb7) files opened as wanted into the current open Excel session. My macros would find the open (.tb7) files, copy them into my worksheets, edit the data, and then close the (.tb7) files, but my macros now can't find the files in the other opened Excel sessions.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Datsmart

Are they actually separate sessions or just in their own Tabs?

Open Tools | Options | View tab…
In "Show" section, is "Windows in Taskbar" checked?

DeltaBlue

Board Regular
"Windows in Taskbar" is checked.

Not sure what you mean by "in their own tabs", but to me it is a new session of Excel. When I close the file, I'm left with an empty worksheet, which I then go up to the top right corner "X" which then closes that Excel session and takes me back to my other open Excel session.

Datsmart

In Windows Explorer...
Tools | Folder Options...
File Types Tab,
Scroll down and click "XLS".
Click "Advanced"
Under Actions, click "Open".
Click "Edit"
Be sure "Use DDE" is checked.
If needed, Under DDE Message, input the following text:
[open("%1")]
OK out of the dialogs and you should be able to open a workbook into an existing sesson by double clicking the file name.

DeltaBlue

Board Regular
Thanks very much for your input, but No Change So Far!

The "Use DDE" was already checked, and the [open("%1")] was already there as well.

Again, I E Mail to myself (from our home location) Query Files with extension .tb7 plus canned reports that come with the .xls extension.

Prior to reformatting of my hard drive, I'd open my E Mail and Double Click on either formatted file (.tb7 or .xls) and the file would open in my current Excel session. Since reformat of hard drive, .xls files still open correctly, but each .tb7 file now causes another Excel session to be opened, with the .tb7 file in that just opened Excel session.

Datsmart

Did you check to see how ".tb7" files were handled in Windows Explorer?

DeltaBlue

Board Regular
In Windows Explorer, when right clicking on a .tb7 file, it shows as "Open With Excel".

In both my E Mail (file attachment) and Windows Explorer, when I click on a .tb7 file, the file opens, but in a new Excel session. Previous to reformatting of hard drive, the file opened in the current open Excel session.

Also, if I open a .tb7 file from within my open Excel, Excel goes through the File Import process, but does open it within the current open Excel session.

Again, just trying to get the .tb7 to open in Excel without them opening another session of Excel, which I was able to do for the last 3 to 4 years.

I don't know how to do it, but a possible work around could be if my macros were able to identify the most recent E Mail attached file versions, and for the macro to open / copy data / and close the files. Currently I just open all of the attached files received via E Mail, and my macros find the files, copy in and then edit the data, plus close the attached files after copying their data.

Datsmart

Same question...

How are ".tb7" files being handled in Windows Explorer?
Under "Open" does it have "[open("%1")]" for the DDE Message?

DeltaBlue

Board Regular
You must be on the right track. Under Windows Explorer there is a .tb3 (believe it's an old & no longer used version of software) and .tb7.

When I click on the .tb3, I see a sentence appear that says it's a .tb3 file and I have the "Advanced" option available. When I click on the .tb7 file, I still see the .tb3 sentence and "Advanced" changes to "Restore" (which I did not click on since I don't understand what Restore will do).

I clicked on .tb3, I went to Advanced / Edit and under open it has the following:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "%1"

I added the [open("%1")] under the Use DDE. I should only have 1 version of Excel, but wondering a bit if maybe there's a remnant of a 2nd version, but that wouldn't explain why if I open 4 .tb7 files, 4 new sessions of Excel are opened.

Unfortunately I have to leave for an appointment.

Datsmart

Sounds like the .tb3 is setup to open its' own Excel session. Since .tb7 has "Restore" inplace of the "Advanced" button, I would think that is worth trying. If it looks like that is taking you somewhere you don't want, just use "Cancel" to back out again.
You need to get the "Open action" for .tb7 to have the [open("%1")] text in it.

Having workbooks open in additional "sessions" of Excel does not mean you have more than one version of Excel on your PC. It just means Excel has been opened multiple times instead of just once. Having it open multiple times is a huge waste of resources. Of course normal operation is one Excel session with all workbooks opening in that session.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Rice

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back