Update multiple sets of information automatically from one master set

sitewolf

When I first thought of this project, I thought it would be easy. And it is....except for the automatic part, unless I'm missing something (which I probably am, it's Monday and not all neurons are firing).

So I've got a list of children's names, along with their parents' names, phone, email, etc......the distinction between them is they're not all in the same program.
For simplification, say the programs are AM, PM, and All Day.

What I'd LIKE to do is have a master list where ALL are entered, regardless of program. Then I'd like separate tabs for each program where only those in that program display in the list.
Easy, you say- turn each sheet including the master into a matching table, use a formula to pull all the data in, then filter each sheet by the desired program.
Yes, that works...but when I add to the master, the other tabs won't automatically update. Pivot tables would be convoluted- there's 18 columns of info per child (plus they need refreshing).

My desired end result would mean I can update the master and the other sheets update with no further edit, because I'd like to protect these sheets so ONLY I can update/edit, others can only view...but all the info they need autoupdates as I add to the master.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
When I first thought of this project, I thought it would be easy. And it is....except for the automatic part, unless I'm missing something (which I probably am, it's Monday and not all neurons are firing).

So I've got a list of children's names, along with their parents' names, phone, email, etc......the distinction between them is they're not all in the same program.
For simplification, say the programs are AM, PM, and All Day.

What I'd LIKE to do is have a master list where ALL are entered, regardless of program. Then I'd like separate tabs for each program where only those in that program display in the list.
Easy, you say- turn each sheet including the master into a matching table, use a formula to pull all the data in, then filter each sheet by the desired program.
Yes, that works...but when I add to the master, the other tabs won't automatically update. Pivot tables would be convoluted- there's 18 columns of info per child (plus they need refreshing).

My desired end result would mean I can update the master and the other sheets update with no further edit, because I'd like to protect these sheets so ONLY I can update/edit, others can only view...but all the info they need autoupdates as I add to the master.
Hi Sitewolf,

It sounds like I use something similar to what I think you are describing. I use it for an AR Reading program where I have a Master List of Books, and each Student has books assigned to them and the book data is pulled from the Master List to their own respective Student Sheet.

This would require a Unique ID in the Master List to reference though. In your case, perhaps one for each of the Programs.
Using the XLOOKUP Function

Example of the Master List for Programs:
Book1
ABCD
1Program IDProgram TitleProgram DescriptionProgram Instructor
2101Program 1Program 1 DescriptionProgram 1 Instructer
3102Program 2Program 2 DescriptionProgram 2 Instructer
4103Program 3Program 3 DescriptionProgram 3 Instructer
5104Program 4Program 4 DescriptionProgram 4 Instructer
6105Program 5Program 5 DescriptionProgram 5 Instructer
7106Program 6Program 6 DescriptionProgram 6 Instructer
8107Program 7Program 7 DescriptionProgram 7 Instructer
9108Program 8Program 8 DescriptionProgram 8 Instructer
10109Program 9Program 9 DescriptionProgram 9 Instructer
11110Program 10Program 10 DescriptionProgram 10 Instructer
Programs

Example of the Student Sheet with their enrolled/assigned programs:
Book1
ABC
4Program IDProgram TitleProgram Instructor
5102Program 2Program 2 Instructer
6103Program 3Program 3 Instructer
7105Program 5Program 5 Instructer
8111Not FoundNot Found
Student1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B5:B8B5=XLOOKUP([@[Program ID]],Table1[Program ID],Table1[Program Title],"Not Found")
C5:C8C5=XLOOKUP([@[Program Title]],Table1[Program Title],Table1[Program Instructor],"Not Found")

1675184504886.png

You need only enter the Program ID and the rest will automatically populate based on that value.

In the example, I added 111 which is not in the Program Master List which tells you that Program ID was not found. So, either the Program needs to be added to the Master List or the ID number was entered incorrectly.

You'd want to create a Master List for each student as well so you can do the same thing.... although I'm not sure you really need a Sheet for each Student...

To avoid that, you can use Data Validation (drop-down list) for the Program ID column for each student and use the Program ID column on the Master List your List of data to populate a drop-down list.

Upvote 0
If using a Student master list and a single sheet to track active enrollments... perhaps something similar to this...

Book1
ABCDEF
1Student IDStudent NameParent 1Parent 2Phone 1Phone 2
2101Yurem DuranAngeline DuranJeffrey Duran890-772-4446
3102Roderick WillisGracie WillisGabriel Willis938-644-1756797-442-9848
4103Scarlet MarquezMiriam MarquezRex Marquez539-319-8244978-607-8117
5104Carla LawsonKayden LawsonAyanna Lawson725-930-2335
6105Ella RussoAlden RussoMary Russo573-793-1855224-706-2491
7106Carlie McphersonGunnar McphersonMessiah Mcpherson468-366-6218
8107Lennon PaulKassandra PaulLogan Paul579-691-8355998-834-5254
9108Emmy KochJulio Koch785-272-5774322-903-7310
10109Jaeden OliverWilson Oliver395-897-4377
11110Messiah SalasLuciana SalasSaul Salas998-834-5254
Students

Below you can see that some students are enrolled in more than one program...

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D18D2=XLOOKUP([@[Program ID]],Table1[Program ID],Table1[Program Title],"Not Found")
E2:E18E2=XLOOKUP([@[Program Title]],Table1[Program Title],Table1[Program Instructor],"Not Found")
D19D19=SUBTOTAL(103,[Program Title])
E19E19=SUBTOTAL(103,[Program Instructor])
B2:B18B2=XLOOKUP([@[Student ID]],Table14[Student ID],Table14[Student Name])
B19B19=SUBTOTAL(103,[Student Name])

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back