Update pivot chart on locked worksheet

MaxxFusion

Board Regular
I use a vba script to lock all my sheets in one click. I also have a vba script that updates my pivot chart automatically when i change my data.

The issue i have now is when i use the vba script to lock my sheets the chart wont update. If i try to update the table manually i get an error becuase the sheets are locked.

How can i get around this?

Here is the vba code i use to lock the sheets.

VBA Code:
Sub protectsheets()
Dim wsheet As Worksheet
For Each wsheet In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
wsheet.Protect Password:="xxxxxxxx", AllowUsingPivotTables:=True
Next wsheet
End Sub

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
you need to add
VBA Code:
DrawingObjects:=False
to the protect

and, btw, your EnableSelection only applies to the activesheet - not all the sheets being looped through

Upvote 0
I added this but now all ovjects are editable and my chart still didnt refresh. Is there a differenent way to do this?

Also what do you mean not all sheet being looped through?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rich (BB code):
ActiveSheet.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
- that right there applies only to the ACTIVESHEET - the sheet that is currently open, being viewed.
When you loop through sheets (which is what 'For each wsheet' is doing) - the sheets are not activated. They're just being referenced.
So, as your looping through all the sheets in the workbook, you keep .EnableSelection on the sheet that was active when you started the code.
Change ActiveSheet to wsheet if you want that line of code to run on each sheet instead.

As for the additional property, change your Protect line to:
VBA Code:
wsheet.Protect Password:="xxxxxxxx", AllowUsingPivotTables:=True, DrawingObjects:=False

It's saying to NOT protect the DrawingObjects on the sheet.

Upvote 0
Is that the only way to do it? I have a dashboard page that is mostly drawing objects i dont want people to mess with.

Also my pivot chart still doesnt update when i lock. I made the changes above.

Here is the pviot update vba i am using on my sheet that has the data. This works when its unlocked.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
ThisWorkbook.RefreshAll
End Sub

Upvote 0
well, the charts should update even if the sheet is protected.. the code I added was so that you could manually modify the pivot chart.
Updating the data source should update a chart, even if the chart is locked.
fyi - your _Change event could loop, technically. You're refreshing the entire workbook and so if there's a cell on the sheet that changes, then the event gets called again, etc...

So, to summarize: you have a Dashboard with various reports, charts, etc. You have code that protects all the sheets. Presumably, the data source of the dashboard, you've setup so you can still update the data. When you do so, you have it set to refresh the entire workbook. But your charts are not refreshing. And you get no errors...
But the moment you unprotect a sheet with charts and do a refresh - the charts update?

Duplicated scenario, working on workaround

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't know that you couldn't refresh a protected sheet... seems like goof to me. Here's an update on your code.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Application.EnableEvents = False 'disables events so we don't loop
UnProtectSheets
ThisWorkbook.RefreshAll
ProtectSheets
Application.EnableEvents = True 'allows events to run again
End Sub

Sub ProtectSheets()
Dim wsheet As Worksheet
    wsheet.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
    wsheet.Protect Password:="xxxxx", AllowUsingPivotTables:=True, userinterfaceonly:=True 'threw on userinterfaceonly, always good when you've got code running
Next wsheet
End Sub

Sub UnProtectSheets()
Dim wsheet As Worksheet
    wsheet.Unprotect Password:="xxxxx"
Next wsheet
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hmm. This seemed to work yesterday at home. Now today at work its not working. Can you confirm what macro you are using to lock the sheets in your test file?

Upvote 0
Actually i used this to lock my sheets. That didnt make a difference. This is so stange.

VBA Code:
Sub ProtectSheets()
Dim wsheet As Worksheet
    wsheet.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
    wsheet.Protect Password:="xxxxx", AllowUsingPivotTables:=True
Next wsheet
End Sub

Upvote 0
I tested with the code I posted. I have a small pivot table with a chart both on the same sheet, though NOT a chart sheet.
The data source is a table (listobject) on a separate sheet in the same workbook.
I replaced my protect with yours and it still works.
I could make my test file available to you. Or you could make yours available to me so I could test it on my end. There are so many ways you could have your workbook setup and it doesn't match my configuration.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back