Update source location of linked data using string in formula & values worksheet

john316swan

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
First thread, please help!

I have a massive workbook that I have linked with several other workbooks on a network drive. I have the following formula:

='M:\Financial Aid\John''s Stuff\Win-Loss\[Grids 16-17.xlsx]NEW (FR&TR)'!$D7

This allows me to pull data from that spreadsheet into my current spreadsheet and analyze three years worth of data. However there are 48 columns of data and 12 worksheets within the workbook (almost 100k cells of data) so it takes a long time to go in and update all of those formulas (by column using search and replace) every time I want to look at a new year. I created a separate worksheet within the workbook called "VALUES" & tried to modify the formula to this:

='M:\Financial Aid\John''s Stuff\Win-Loss\[Grids "&VALUES!B2&".xlsx]NEW (FR&TR)'!$D7

I tried several variations of this string but could not get the formula to work :(

I want to be able to change the "16-17" in the first formula and have the entire workbook update based on the year I am trying to look at. Please help & thank you so much!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
You have to use INDIRECT to achieve this, i.e.:
=INDIRECT("'M:\Financial Aid\John''s Stuff\Win-Loss\[Grids "&VALUES!B2&".xlsx]NEW (FR&TR)'!$D7",TRUE)
Caveat: you also have to have the "Grids XX-XX.xlsx" workbook open; otherwise, you will get a #REF!.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you Tetra201. That works, but do you think there is a way I can combine both INDEX & INDIRECT?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back