Updating a formula with a dynamic range

mdo8105

Board Regular
I'm running into a wall trying to accomplish updating a static formula in Cell N2. The first piece of my script works due to the start of my range will always be I19. I have a formula in N1 that is based off of range I19:the last cell before a blank (RowNum) and that works great. My issue is I have another range on that same sheet that is dynamic. The first part of this range will always be 9 cells down from my varible (RowNum) and I am naming that varible (RowNum2) and the last cell of the range will be the last cell before a blank from varible (RowNum2). The formula that I am needing updated is this: =IF(COUNTIF(RowNum2:RowNum3,"Pass")= Q1,"Passed",IF(COUNTIF(RowNum2:RowNum3,"Fail")>0,"Failed",IF(COUNTIF(RowNum2:RowNum3,"Untested")= Q1,"Untested",IF(COUNTIF(I19:I48,"Pass")< Q1,"Inprogress"))))

Q1 in that formula is counting the cells in that dynamic range, but honestly if I could replace Q1 in the formual with a varible that counts the cells from RowNum2:RowNum 3, that would be wonderful.

My issue is the FormulaR1C1 is not working properly. When I run the code listed below My formula should look like this: =IF(COUNTIF(I56:I69,"Pass")= Q2,"Passed",IF(COUNTIF(I56:I69,"Fail")>0,"Failed",IF(COUNTIF(I56:I69,"Untested")= Q2,"Untested",IF(COUNTIF(I56:I69,"Pass")< Q2,"Inprogress"))))

and the formula in Q2 should look like this: =COUNTA(I56:INDEX(I58:I6556,MAX(1,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(I56:I6556="",0,0),0))))

But the formula in N2 is showing up like this: =IF(COUNTIF(I58:I71,"Pass")= Q2,"Passed",IF(COUNTIF(I20:I49,"Fail")>0,"Failed",IF(COUNTIF(I20:I49,"Untested")= Q2,"Untested",IF(COUNTIF(I20:I49,"Pass")< Q2,"Inprogress"))))

And formula in Q2 is looking like this: =COUNTA(I58:INDEX(I58:I6556,MAX(1,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(I58:I6556="",0,0),0))

I would love any feedback, I am pretty new to VB and I cannot wrap my head around this. Here is my code:
Code:
Sub UpdateFormula()Dim ASAP_EDRN As Worksheet
Dim ASAP_EDMGR As Worksheet
Dim EPICCARE_IP As Worksheet
Dim RowNum As Integer
Dim RowNum2 As Integer
Dim RowNum3 As Long

Set ASAP_EDRN = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("ASAP_EDRN")
Set ASAP_EDMGR = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("ASAP_EDMGR")
Set EPICCARE_IP = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("EPICCARE_INPATIENT_IPISOIN")

'Finds the last row before a blank starting at I19 (this will always be fixed)
RowNum = ASAP_EDRN.Range("I19").End(xlDown).Row
'Finds the first cell after header (this cell will always be 9 cells away from varible RowNum)This helps me find the row number for the first cell in the dynamic range
RowNum2 = ASAP_EDRN.Range("I30").End(xlDown).Offset(9).Row
'This finds the first cell with data from the bottom (This helps me find the row number for the last Range in the dynamic Range)
RowNum3 = ASAP_EDRN.Cells(Rows.Count, 9).End(xlUp).Row

ASAP_EDRN.Range("N1").FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Pass"")= R[0]C[3],""Passed"",IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Fail"")>0,""Failed"",IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Untested"")= R[0]C[3],""Untested"",IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Pass"")< R[0]C[3],""Inprogress""))))"

ASAP_EDRN.Range("Q2").FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=COUNTA(R[" & RowNum2 & "]C[-8]:INDEX(R[" & RowNum2 & "]C[-8]:R[6554]C[-8],MAX(1,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(R[" & RowNum2 & "]C[-8]:R[6554]C[-8]="""",0,0),0))))"

ASAP_EDRN.Range("N2").FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=IF(COUNTIF(R[" & RowNum2 & "]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum3 & "]C[-5],""Pass"")= R[0]C[3],""Passed"",IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Fail"")>0,""Failed"",IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Untested"")= R[0]C[3],""Untested"",IF(COUNTIF(R[18]C[-5]:R[" & RowNum & "]C[-5],""Pass"")< R[0]C[3],""Inprogress""))))"

End Sub

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back