Updating Access Database with Excel File

jmelinda

Hello,

I've been trying to make this work for hours and hours and am finally giving up. Most of this code was found on the internet and I've attempted to make it work for my project but I keep getting errors. I use VBA with Excel quite often but never with Access before. Currently I am getting an "Object doesn't support this property or method" error at rs.Findfirst.

I have an excel worksheet that mimics the access table with five fields, an ID field, lastName, FirstName, DeptID (int), Email. I want to search the Access table for a match on the email field, and if it doesn't find the match, to add a new record using values typed into the excel sheet.
Code:
Sub UpdateDB()
Dim cn As Object
Dim rs As Object
Dim strCon As String
Dim strSQL As String
Dim CurrentRow As Integer

strCon = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;" & _
        "Data Source=S:\HousingServices\Managers\DB\Julie\Access\Access Data Import Template.xlsm" & _
        ";Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1"";"

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

cn.Open strCon

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM [Staff$] s " _
    & "INNER JOIN [;Database=S:\Access\Network Access Copy.accdb;].Staff t " _
    & "ON s.Email=t.Email " 

rs.Open strSQL, cn, 1, 3 

CurrentRow = 1

While ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("B" & CurrentRow).Value <> ""
    If rs.RecordCount <> 0 Then
         Do While Not rs.EOF
            rs.MoveFirst
      [B]     [COLOR=#ff0000] rs.FindFirst "Email" = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("E" & CurrentRow).Value[/COLOR][/B]  - error is here
                If rs.NoMatch Then
                  rs.AddNew
                    rs.Fields("LastName") = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("B" & CurrentRow).Value
                    rs.Fields("FirstName") = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("C" & CurrentRow).Value
                    rs.Fields("Department") = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("D" & CurrentRow).Value
                    rs.Fields("Email") = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("E" & CurrentRow).Value
                  rs.Update
                End If
            CurrentRow = CurrentRow + 1
       Loop
    End If
Wend

rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
cn.Close
Set cn = Nothing

End Sub

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I should also point that the Email field in Access has some null values. I think that could probably lead to some errors but haven't figured out how to account for that yet either.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi Julie (guessing here),

as far as I can see you're using the ADO connection and not a DAO. There are some differences and this page ( Examples of DAO and ADO Recordsets (Poynor - MIS 333k) ) seems to show that the ADO recordset doesn't have a FindFirst property, only a .Find property. The DAO does have the .FindFirst property... Hope that pointer gets you moving, otherwise you'd change to the "rs.Filter="Email='" &ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Staff").Range("E" & CurrentRow).Value & "'" option, where you'd then have to count how many records your rs then holds and remove the filter afterwards.

G'luck,

Koen

Upvote 0
Oh ok, that makes sense since I was copying code from a few sources. Thanks for the point in the right direction!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back