Updating cell references across two worksheets

Olsonic

Good afternoon,

I have a situation that I would really like to resolve, and I'm really praying that someone in this forum could have some advice for me. Here is the situation:

I am using two worksheets.

Worksheet 1 contains the names of friends. This list of friends will be added to, and subtracted from over time (hopefully :)) and it may also be sorted alphabetically, or by some other manner

Worksheet 2 contains tasks related to each friend

Question for Mr. Excel Users: For whatever reason, I may want to change the name of one of my friends. I may have spelled a name wrong, and want to re-name 'Mark' into 'Marc'. What I want to do is create a macro that, whenever I change one of my friends names in worksheet 1, will search through worksheet 2 for all tasks with the same misspelling and update them the same way. Is this possible?

Additional information​

• [*=1]My list of friends on worksheet 1 will be added to and subtracted from, so the cell addresses will be changing
    [*=1]My list of tasks on worksheet 2 will also be added to and subtracted from, so the cell addresses will be changing.
zFZSNyY.png

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hello,

does this work as expected?

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
        If Target.Value <> Range("F1").Value Then
            With Sheets("Sheet2")
                .Columns("B:B").Replace What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F1").Value, Replacement:=Target.Value, LookAt:=xlWhole, _
                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
            End With
        End If
    End If
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F1").ClearContents
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
        Range("F1").Value = Target.Value
    End If
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This code needs to go into the code window for the 'Friends' sheet tab, not a standard module.

It has no error checking though.

Upvote 0
Hi There,

Thanks so much for your response. I haven't been able to get the macro to work yet, but I'm working on it. I'm confused about this line of code. Why are you using Range("F1") ?

Upvote 0
This isn't a perfect solution when you have multiple friends with the same first name, but why don't you just use the find and replace advance options? Ctrl+F, replace tab, options, check within workbook.

Upvote 0
This isn't a perfect solution when you have multiple friends with the same first name, but why don't you just use the find and replace advance options? Ctrl+F, replace tab, options, check within workbook.

Because in reality, I have a customer user form that I use to update profiles of my friends, and then a different worksheet with tasks related to them. So when I make an adjustment to a profile via the UserForm, I want it to propagate to the other worksheets

Upvote 0
Hello,

does this work as expected?

Code:
            With Sheets("Sheet2")
                .Columns("B:B").Replace What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F1").Value, Replacement:=Target.Value, LookAt:=xlWhole, _
            End With
        End If
    End If
End Sub

End If
End Sub

This code needs to go into the code window for the 'Friends' sheet tab, not a standard module.

It has no error checking though.

I know we're on to something here. The Worksheet_change and Worksheet_selectionchange appear to be the right way to go about this, but Im just getting all sorts of errors when I plug in that formula.

Upvote 0
KTjcTno.png

I've decided to add another example to see if this helps. I have two worksheets (Sheet1, Sheet2). As you can see, Sheet1 is a database of names and related information, and Sheet2 is a list of tasks related to some of the names in Sheet1. My problem is, if I make an adjustment to the names in Sheet1, the names of Sheet2 are not updated accordingly. Additionally, there is the added complication that I often sort the names in Sheet1 based on different criteria, so the exact cell location will be constantly changing. Whatever solution I use needs to be able to react to that, if possible. I'm close to giving up but I've put in so much **** effort into this database that I just can't believe I'm gonna stop here. Everything I've learned so far has been through YouTube, and it's just been impossible to find the right tutorial on Worksheet_change and Worksheet_SelectionChange.

Anyways, I'll quit posting on this thread so I don't look bad for bumping it. Just making a last ditch effort to get some eyeballs on it because it's important to me.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello,

what errors do you get?

Did spot a couple of errors, try

Code:
            With Sheets("Sheet2")
                .Columns("A:A").Replace What:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F1").Value, Replacement:=Target.Value, LookAt:=xlWhole, _
            End With
        End If
    End If
End Sub

End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back