Updating Excel charts in PowerPoint

tobermory

I have a PowerPoint with approximately 10 slides of charts and objects linked to the same one spreadsheet. The data in the spreadsheet updates every month, I need the charts and objects within the PowerPoint to update to reflect the new data. I therefore copied the charts and objects over adequately and 'linked' the file in 'Edit Links to Files' in PowerPoint and ticked 'Automatic Update'.

When I subsequently open the PowerPoint, I get the following error messages.

PowerPointError.png

PowerPointError2.png

Some of the charts and images update, some don't. What I find odd is, when I manually 'Refresh Data' and 'Update Link', it works completely fine.

PowerPoint1.png

PowerPoint2.png

Would there be a way to manually record a macro within PowerPoint that records me 'manually' updating the charts and images, so I don't have to manually do it every month?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
As per the error message, did you make sure that the linked file was saved before copying and pasting the chart? And did you make sure to paste and link the data, instead of embedding the workbook?

Upvote 0
Hello, thanks for reaching out!

Sincerest apologies for taking so long to reply. Yes. I save the spreadsheet before copying and pasting, I also paste Using 'Source Formatting & Link Data'.

When I open the PowerPoint and 'Update Links', it seems to work on the first couple of occasions. It's only when the data in the spreadsheet updates I seem to get error messages implying linked data isn't available. The actual name file name of the spreadsheet hasn't changed, just the data within it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back