Updating Excel Sheet

AAnna16

I have a workbook with about 12 sheets. All sheets update automatically. I want to have one sheet out of the 12 update manually by pressing a button. How can i do this?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated :):eek:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
If all 12 update automatically .... why the need to do one manually ?

.....where would the button be located ?

Upvote 0
i have 11 sheets with data . the 12th sheet is compiled data for the month. i want this sheet to calculate only once a month or by a button i would have on the excel sheet.

Upvote 0
Hi Anna - just right click the toolbar and choose Customize. From there click the Commands tab and then click Macros in the Categories box. Choose Custom Button in the Commands box and drag it up to your toolbar. Close that screen then click the custom button to assign a macro to it. Let me know if you're on excel 2007+ as it's different.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the button! i also am not sure how to code the VBA for having one sheet not updating. Do you know any ways to get around that?

Thank you again

Upvote 0
can you post some of the code in your macro? You may have to wrap in all in a loop that only loops through the sheets you want. Or another idea is to make the sheet you don't want calculated protected. That should prevent the macro from acting on that particular sheet.

Sub WorksheetLoop()

Dim WS_Count As Integer
Dim I As Integer

' Set WS_Count equal to the number of worksheets in the active
' workbook.
WS_Count = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Count

' Begin the loop.
For I = 1 To WS_Count 'put -1 here to ignore the last sheet

' Insert your code here.
' The following line shows how to reference a sheet within
' the loop by displaying the worksheet name in a dialog box.
MsgBox ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(I).Name

Next I

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you very much!
i don't have a code in place yet as to have it update/not update.

I am thinking the protected sheet idea might be a bit simpler. Only i tried protecting it and if i change data on other sheets it still updates on the final protected sheet

Upvote 0
oh okay you want to disable the formulas from calculating on the last sheet? Protection will disable VBA code from executing on the protected sheet.

To do this: click the last sheet then go to Tools | Options then click the Calculation tab. For calculation choose Manual - uncheck the Recalculate before save box.

Click OK

Now if you want it to calculate you don't even need a button - just press the F9 key.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back